what a drag!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what a drag!!!

I have a saltist 20h,I have had to replace three star drags so far at £15 with p&p each.Any body else had any bother with their saltist? Better still has any body a solution to this problem. Emailed Daiwa a couple of weeks ago who have yet to reply. The reel is well looked after and used sensibly,gets no stick etc.Thanks in advance for any info lads.

Daiwa

Apparently its a commonish fault its unusual for daiwa not to answer email something not right there here"s the service link Daiwasports.co.uk - Services - Call direct on 08450 603603 But the phone numbers there too personally i would ring them i think you will find you get sorted out free never mind £15 a chuck

Comment

I've got 4 saltists & only had one issue with a 30, the drag stripped after about 10 months. It was an acknowledged problem with the early models, something to do with the threading on the shaft I think - anyway, took the reel back to the shop who sent it back to Daiwa. It was fixed & returned within a week, cost me no more than the postage (about £4.50).

As far as I know the later models should be fine & certainly the rest of mine have presented no problems. It might be that you've been replacing the star-wheel without addressing the problem with the shaft - be interesting to see what Daiwa have to say, they're usually pretty good (at least in my experience).

Hope you get it sorted mate, as they're otherwise cracking reels.

Gary
      ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
      on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Originally posted by stig View Post
        I have a saltist 20h,I have had to replace three star drags so far at £15 with p&p each.Any body else had any bother with their saltist? Better still has any body a solution to this problem. Emailed Daiwa a couple of weeks ago who have yet to reply. The reel is well looked after and used sensibly,gets no stick etc.Thanks in advance for any info lads.

when you say star drag, what exactlyis wrong it because the
        only bit trouble a have with star drags and that was with a second hand one that a bought and found that the clutch plates were soaking wet with oil and water and when cleaned it and dried the plates , rthere was no problem any more
        Last edited by waco; 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM. Reason: mitske

Comment

The thread in the star wheel is very soft on the early models ,had to replace mine and it went again a year later .Daiwa replaced the part under warranty as spares have a two year warranty,so just had to buy first one as I got the reel second hand.
          white van man

Comment

Think you could be right g-force about an issue with the shaft as this is an early model.Will phone daiwa monday and will let you know of any developments,thanks for the info.The exact problem bob is not the drag washers but the threads stripping off the inside of the star wheel.Will let you know the outcome bob.Cheers lads

Comment

Didn't realise daiwa parts had a two year warranty rod,could have saved myself a few quid!!! Thanks for the service info Tatch.
              Last edited by stig; 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Think you could be right g-force about an issue with the shaft as this is an early model.Will phone daiwa monday and will let you know of any developments,thanks for the info.The exact problem bob is not the drag washers but the threads stripping off the inside of the star wheel.Will let you know the outcome bob.Cheers lads
                If I remember right, I think I was told at the shop that the problem with the early shafts was that they weren't threaded right to the end, so when you backed the drag off the star-wheel would come off the thread & strip the next time you tried to tighten it down - that's exactly what happened to me.

I think the solution was to produce new shafts correctly threaded so it wouldn't happen again. So far no other problems with my other ones, but just in case I don't back the drag all the way off these days (shouldn't be an issue with my two newer ones as hopefully they'll have the corrected shafts fitted from new).

Gary
                ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
                on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

no prob mate, sorry a cound'nt have been more help, the good thing about nesa there's always somebody else to help, still three times threads stripping is a bit much hope you get it sorted soon

Comment

You should have taken it back to shop where it was bought and they should have had the drag replaced totally free of charge.
                    No need to send reel back to Daiwa, it is a simple job to replace the star drag, any tackle shop should be able to do that.
                    There was a problem with the earlier models, there is is still the odd one that goes however Daiwa will send the replacement drag for free to the shop where it was sold.
                    If people think you are an idiot, why speak and remove all doubt !

Comment

bought a seconhand saltist myself star drag went. i phoned daiwa and sent me another one out cost 15quid.

i was prewarned about star drag off the saltist from a top caster from down south, he sent 4 back to daiwa he now uses torium 14s

obviously to me there has to be a design fault other second hand reels dont go like these.
                      did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Originally posted by YoursTruly View Post
                        You should have taken it back to shop where it was bought and they should have had the drag replaced totally free of charge.
                        No need to send reel back to Daiwa, it is a simple job to replace the star drag, any tackle shop should be able to do that.
                        There was a problem with the earlier models, there is is still the odd one that goes however Daiwa will send the replacement drag for free to the shop where it was sold.
                        I did in fact take the reel back to the retailer who did replace the first star drag free of charge,although subsequent drags were purchased direct from daiwa as the warranty was by then expired.The question remains is the star wheel not fit for purpose? or is another reel componant causing the failure of the star wheel on my reel.Ill phone daiwa tomorrow and see if they have a solution to conclude this issue.

Comment

I bet the woman in the parts department insists they have not got a problem with these reels,She did with me despite telling her other friends had the same problem as well as people on forums from america and south africa.No problem but they just happen to stock a lot of drags ,lol.
                          white van man

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
                            I bet the woman in the parts department insists they have not got a problem with these reels,She did with me despite telling her other friends had the same problem as well as people on forums from america and south africa.No problem but they just happen to stock a lot of drags ,lol.
                            you are right rod ,i used to like daiwa gear a bit pricey but still or used to like,starting to get my vote of no confidense.

hows the new reel. john
                            did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Very nice John ,will give you a ring later today.
                              white van man

Comment

Working...
                              X