circle hooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circle hooks

hi and good day all . i bought a packet of these size 1.0 witht the intention of using them with live bait on the pier undr a float ...now with a diff job location i wont be able to head to seaham or roker i was just wondering during the summer months and the winter months are circle hooks any good from the Shore/beach with any particular rig/set up /bait for a particular species...?any advise would be much appreciated as i was told two diff stories by two tackle shops so any advise on anyone who has used them would be much appreciated
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

use them for flounders off the beach,i do in the winter

sless

Comment

do u still use worms on them ...i find them slightly harder to bait up with worms . would u use them on say a 2 hook flapper ?

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
      Kompressor SS /slosh30
      tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Best use I've found for them is as a pennel hook - I don't use pennel's all that often but the circle hook will nail them in the scissors every time when sometimes the rest of the bait is hanging outside their mouths.

Gary
        ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
        on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

cheers g force...just to be clear would u be using this on the top hook or the bottom hook ...its just that when u say pennel hook it leads to me to think its the top hook but the bait hanging outside the gob of the fish leads me to think its the bottom hook ...wouldjust like to clarify . spending time today making rigs as i have hurt my food and no fishing at the moment ....

2014 combo:
          Kompressor SS /slosh30
          tt sport /525 mag

Comment

you hurt your food ! ! , ha ha your sundays dinner not well i have never used circle hooks mate cost to much to throw away after every session
            species so far :cod,whiting,coalie,dab,flounder ,plaice,3bearded rockling,mackeral,granny fish best for 2012 :6lbcod

Comment

Originally posted by codcatcher3000 View Post
              cheers g force...just to be clear would u be using this on the top hook or the bottom hook ...its just that when u say pennel hook it leads to me to think its the top hook but the bait hanging outside the gob of the fish leads me to think its the bottom hook ...wouldjust like to clarify . spending time today making rigs as i have hurt my food and no fishing at the moment ....
              Yeah top hook - I use 1/0 or 2/0's, heat the eye over the stove for a few seconds & bend the eye back, stick a little bit of tubing on & slip it on above the main hook. I've quite often had fish on where the whole of the bait & main hook is hanging outside their mouths, but the circle hook has got them in the corner of their mouths - sometimes every fish in a session has been caught that way.

Gary

Comment

was given some to try carp fishing, after missing four carp went back to the normal straight hooks and got three of the belt.
                Alan

Comment

cool g force would semi circles not be the best compromise to use for the top hook then .? just thinking and typing aloud here....pop39 i got mine for a shiny quid i know some shops sell em quite costly ..am currently using the tronixpro circle hooks

2014 combo:
                  Kompressor SS /slosh30
                  tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Never tried semi-circles, the ones I use are the Mustad ultrapoints - get 14 hooks for just under £2.50 in size 1/0, 12 in 2/0's. A really gutsy little hook that's good on the top of a pennel is the Chinu hook (Sakuma make them I think) - very heavy guage & a bit like a circle hook; very good if you need to lift your fish any height out the water (especially if it's a good'un!)

Gary

Comment

If you are using circle hooks the thing not to do is strike at bites.
                      Use a grip lead and let the fish hook themselves as they try and swim off with the bait.
                      I use them when pleasure fishing for Flounder with the bait in Armourmesh like a hair rig.The fish are lip hooked every time..

Comment

excellent stuff guys...had a look at chinus online they not to bad either will be trying them out from time to time... anyone used them float fishing ? also whatdya put inside that armamesh? looks canny effective

2014 combo:
                        Kompressor SS /slosh30
                        tt sport /525 mag

Comment

I wouldn,t use them with the float.
                          As i said above,they work best by letting the fish hook themselves(which is what they were invented for).
                          You can,t do this with a float.

The bait in the Armourmesh is fresh crab.

Comment

to be honest mate i have been using them recently on the float and they do a great job of lip hooking the fish, as the resitstance of the float is often enough for them to hook themselves

Comment

Tried them for the first time this year over in Luce Bay for the tope. A pal of mine swears by them for hooking tope in the scissors on most occasions. On his advice bought some 8/0s Varivas hooks.

Made up my trace as normal,a 6' leader of high abrasion 250lb mono crimped to a swivel and then 8" of coated wire crimped to the hook. Only tried them once during the June Sharkatag in Luce Bay. Managed to hook into two tope,both hooked in the scissors which was a great result so I will be sticking with them for tope fishing anyway.

Here is a picture of one. Never even felt a thing as a tope had half of this bait away !!!

John
                              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Value photography - Geordiepix

Mull of Galloway digs recommend http://www.clashwhannoncaravanpark.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X