mackreal for bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mackreal for bait

got a load ov mackreal left over will codling take mackreal with black lug/ ragworm just ive only used mackreal for flatty bashing

The way i look at it mate is if a fish needs to eat and food is presented theres every chance of it taking it. Not had much luck in winter with maccy strip but ya never know
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught

Comment

theres a lot of anglers put macky on there feathers when on the boats fishing for cod in the summer so i guess it will work it in the winter mate.
      Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Ive had best results with Big Mackie baits after the New Year - midle of January time.

john.
        One More Hoy

Comment

It's always worth having a bit of mackerel in the freezer I use it all the time, a cocktail with lug and rag
          A bad days fishing beats a good day working

Comment

Originally posted by eddie t View Post
            theres a lot of anglers put macky on there feathers when on the boats fishing for cod in the summer so i guess it will work it in the winter mate.
            it's the feathers the cod are going for not the mackerel, ling will take mackerel flappers all day long but not cod, same with shore fishing, whiting love mackere l but i have had no luck with mackerel strips fishing for cod from the shore unless it is part of a cocktail,peeler,blacks,lug,mussle,razor clam,rag and squid are far superior winter baits if you are targeting cod.

Comment

For some reason whities love mackeral from the pier but cod seem to avoid it. Only ever saw one caught on Steetly with mackeral.
              I can,t understand why as its good on boats.
              Mick.
              ps And when we fished in Norway all i used was bluey.

Mind it is Norway-where there are more fish.
              Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthespark View Post
                it's the feathers the cod are going for not the mackerel, ling will take mackerel flappers all day long but not cod, same with shore fishing, whiting love mackere l but i have had no luck with mackerel strips fishing for cod from the shore unless it is part of a cocktail,peeler,blacks,lug,mussle,razor clam,rag and squid are far superior winter baits if you are targeting cod.
                Absolute crap!! Cod will and do take mackerel.

I fished Arbroath in the winter a couple of years back with crab,blacks,mussel etc and had my ass kicked by a local using chunks of mackerel. He was catching fish when no one else did!!

I think it probably fishes quite well but everybody is blinded by worm and crab baits.

I have had codlings fishing the beaches for flats with mackerel strip.

Give me a big juicy black tipped with a fresh crab or snake white tho !

Comment

big acky baits about xmas time seems to get the good cod.
                  did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

A whole Joey or fillet of macky is a good bait for a double around January through Feb,smaller fish don,t seem to like it much.
                    Bluey is a better Cod bait,the lads on the east coast of Scotland catch loads of fish on it in rough ground.

Comment

I use mackeral as shore bait a lot and it is great for most species. Killer for whiting , coalies , flatties , eels and I have also had pouting, pollack, dogfish and lobster on it though not all locally. I have not caught a cod on it yet but my mate has had cod from the Rathouse using mackie.

Comment

Originally posted by CHUKKA View Post
                        Absolute crap!! Cod will and do take mackerel.

I fished Arbroath in the winter a couple of years back with crab,blacks,mussel etc and had my ass kicked by a local using chunks of mackerel. He was catching fish when no one else did!!

I think it probably fishes quite well but everybody is blinded by worm and crab baits.

I have had codlings fishing the beaches for flats with mackerel strip.

Give me a big juicy black tipped with a fresh crab or snake white tho !
                        we are all intitled to an opinion but your absolute crap statement was, lets say a little over the top, i was only making a point about different baits that i have used over the years whilst fishing for cod during the winter and i have found that mackerel strips where the least effective of the baits i mentioned i

Comment

Working...
                        X