Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plugging and popping for bass questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugging and popping for bass questions.

Hi lads, just recently I've tried popping and plugging for bass between South Shields beach and Marsden bay. I've tried for about 10 hrs in total and to date I've not had a thing at all on my lures and really need some help.

I've never popped or plugged before and to be truthful I haven't got a clue what I'm doing so here's a few questions for those who know how.

Which poppers are best and how do you work them?

Which diving plug is best and how do you work them?

I'm casting my popper as far as possible and winding it back in towards me quickly, making as much surface splashing as possible, is this correct?

I've heard of the term "walking the dog" what is this and how do you do it with plugs and poppers?

Does the sea have to be gin clear as it's been a bit murky when I've tried, also does the sea need to be as flat as possible?

Finally has anyone had any success from the same area Shields/Marsden using poppers and plugs for bass or am I just rubbish at it? lol.

Any other tips/help would be very welcome gents, cheers!

Here's what I'm using at the moment, quite cheap lures, should I upgrade to the more expensive lures or are these ok.

Thanks in advance, David.

Henry Gilbey - Walk the dog for bass - YouTube

if the link doesnt work go onto youtube and type in henry gilbey walk the dog

curtis

Comment

Hello Dave,
      have a look at Broony's website, it's a real good job.

Bass Lure Basics | An introduction to fishing for Bass with lures

I've had some success around the areas you have mentioned but it is very, very frustrating.
      I've done nowt this year as I have had very little time with one thing or another. Last year drove me mental with bloody makerel taking every plug I threw at them in daylight and darkness!! and in just a couple of feet of water too.

I am no expert at all but my best plugs seem to be the yo zuri crystal minnows, tackle house feed shallow, the maria chase, komono 2, and small black deltas or redgills behind a bouncy ball or controller float.

I have bought a megabass zonk and only used it twice this year but I did lose a bass at my feet with it down at Flamborough. The lads down there rate them very highly.
      I tried hard last year and ended up catching more on bait early in the season when after codling at Whitley beach and Lynemouth!!! Sods law.

Good luck and take care, regards Ian

Comment

Hi Dave

Never tried over here for them, but I've had success over SW Scotland by varying the speed of retrieve, and flicking the rod tip now and again to make the plug 'pop' on the surface. I also always use braid as you can control the plug better.

The only lure I've used is a 6 year old yozuri, you can see the lure here..

I guarantee though, once you get one, you'll be hooked. I used to go over SW scotland for Pollack first, and Bass second...until I got my first
        Davy

Comment

davey , have always caught bass on baits at marsden but they is always the chance off catching them on lures as i have caught plenty at cockenzie power station when i was working away , i found rapalas best but just my preferance ,but i always used braid and the 8lb stuff ,hope this helps
          species so far :cod,whiting,coalie,dab,flounder ,plaice,3bearded rockling,mackeral,granny fish best for 2012 :6lbcod

Comment

Dave, I have fished the Leas area a few times over the summer with lures for Bass too... I have put in more hours than you and still blanked! lol. I have been out with another lad though who did take one near Target Rock (schoolie about 1.5lb) that was on a Rapala lure. Just like you already know, they are there, just got to keep at it! lol
            "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
            PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Many thanks to all for the replies and pm's, I've learned so much already! really glad I asked.

That's a brilliant bass site and without a doubt it's now saved to my favourites.

Looks like I've just got to keep plugging away lol, and boy that first one will be extra special!

Tightlines, David.

Comment

Working...
              X