Rescued at Eyemouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescued at Eyemouth

Hi all, I was pulled off the rocks by Coastguard last Wednesday. weather changed very quickly and sea's rose to 3-4 meter swells. I was fishing off eyemouth rocks. Great work by the RNLI and the coastguard to get me air lifter off. Couldnt praise them enough, I wouldnt have been here without them. Lost all my gear but didnt lose my life. Be warned about fishing on rough seas. I have been fishing for 38 years and never got into any difficulties. Be safe out there. I was the luck one.

Shows how easy conditions can change
    to many deaths and serious accidents happening on coastline over last few years !
    (Not just fishing)
    good on u for putting hands up and saying it was u to help make more people aware of the dangers
    Loads of effort for little reward
    But still love it

Comment

And forgot to say sorry about your gear loss
      hope it wasent to expensive !
      But still love it

Comment

Unfortunately it was ALL my sea gear but rather that than my life. Humbled by the support from the RNLI and Coastguard, so many people involved to help one individual. They are a credit.

Comment

like u say still here
          hopes this incident helps keep people more aware !
          And helps promote the fantastic job these indiviuals do
          But still love it

Comment

RNLI report says you were also cut off by the tide? Very lucky man! Had you not fished that mark before?
            Tides & Sea State For North Shields
            http://www.mumm.ac.be/EN/Models/Oper...n=northshields

Comment

Hello mate. Yeah I was cut off. I was fishing the island north of the caravan site. I've fished it a hundred times without difficulty. You do get cut off at high tide but swells were huge compared to forecast. Sea state seemed to change from moderate to very rough in just a few hours. Think ill be giving that mark a miss in future.

Comment

Hairy Ness?

Comment

Originally posted by Leemiller1975 View Post
                  Hi all, I was pulled off the rocks by Coastguard last Wednesday. weather changed very quickly and sea's rose to 3-4 meter swells. I was fishing off eyemouth rocks. Great work by the RNLI and the coastguard to get me air lifter off. Couldnt praise them enough, I wouldnt have been here without them. Lost all my gear but didnt lose my life. Be warned about fishing on rough seas. I have been fishing for 38 years and never got into any difficulties. Be safe out there. I was the luck one.
                  Great news that you are ok and that you put your life before your tackle. As a serving Coastguard I hear lots of horror stories from anglers that it was just pure luck that they didn't meet their demise. You did the right thing by calling for help
                  "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

you will not be as lucky again m8 thank god we have the RNLI and coast guard
                    these people do a hell of a job and put there own lives at risk each shout.
                    consett warlord retired

Comment

Glad your here to tell the story

Comment

News reports up here were saying it was a member of the public that Called the coastguard? Were you planning to sit it out until the tide went back out?!
                        I live up here but only recently started angling, I was out on hairy ness a few days after, there was a backpack and a large light sitting, I presumed it was a divers so never really took much notice, maybe could've been yours?

Anyway, glad your safe.

Trying to add a picture of the island for others to see it, my 1st post (been lurking for a while lol) so hopefully I can work out how to attach it!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TheSwordfish View Post
                          News reports up here were saying it was a member of the public that Called the coastguard? Were you planning to sit it out until the tide went back out?!

I live up here but only recently started angling, I was out on hairy ness a few days after, there was a backpack and a large light sitting, I presumed it was a divers so never really took much notice, maybe could've been yours?

Anyway, glad your safe.

Trying to add a picture of the island for others to see it, my 1st post (been lurking for a while lol) so hopefully I can work out how to attach it!

That's a great idea mate. Letting people know of the mark. Planning on a few visits this summer and I may dodge that one. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          GET OUT THERE AND STICK A BAIT IN IT !!!

Comment

Well admitted mate! Some anglers are foolhardy & think theyr'e invincible to the conditions that can turn from OK to dangerous, but it sounds like the forces weren't with you that day!
                            I've been similarly 'embarrassed' by having to call Mountain Rescue out all because of a mechanical problem on a mountain bike in a remote part of Scotland. Not life threatening but it could've meant a cold night on the hills above Torridon. Never saw that coming!

No fish is worth the risk of your life or any rescue service member.

Comment

Originally posted by smallfry View Post
                              Well admitted mate! Some anglers are foolhardy & think theyr'e invincible to the conditions that can turn from OK to dangerous, but it sounds like the forces weren't with you that day!
                              I've been similarly 'embarrassed' by having to call Mountain Rescue out all because of a mechanical problem on a mountain bike in a remote part of Scotland. Not life threatening but it could've meant a cold night on the hills above Torridon. Never saw that coming!

No fish is worth the risk of your life or any rescue service member.
                              Never fished this mark before but looking at the h/w tide Line even on a small tide wouldn't go anyway near on a moderate sea forcast.

Comment

Working...
                              X