What grade stainless for fork shaft and handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What grade stainless for fork shaft and handle

Have snapped shaft on fork looking to have stainless handle/shaft welded on maybe be a bit longer to help ease my back😩

I would have thought 316 grade would be fine.

Comment

316 is the marine grade stainless, also called A4. I've bent and broken too many stainless steel forks now and always use a high carbon steel; it rusts but the tines have lasted decades and the wooden handle was easy to replace when it broke. Just like triggers brush.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray.J. View Post
        I would have thought 316 grade would be fine.
        What diameter would you suggest ?

Comment

Originally posted by timw View Post
          Have snapped shaft on fork looking to have stainless handle/shaft welded on maybe be a bit longer to help ease my back😩
          It will depend on the grade of the fork, personally i would go for mild steel, cheeper and last for years. if you get an old fork (CAR BOOT SALE) and a length of tube i'd be happy to weld it up for you.
          Or if you decide to stick with stainless, i could put you onto someone, i dont have the correct gear at home. hope this help's.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey1970 View Post
            It will depend on the grade of the fork, personally i would go for mild steel, cheeper and last for years. if you get an old fork (CAR BOOT SALE) and a length of tube i'd be happy to weld it up for you.
            Or if you decide to stick with stainless, i could put you onto someone, i dont have the correct gear at home. hope this help's.
            Bang on....Old fork and length of tube will sort the job, just wash it with fresh water instead of chucking it in the garage covered in salt, rotting away. Stainless is for tackle tarts. My old Tatty fork is 22 years old and still going great guns. Don't get suckered into ' all the gear and no idea ' gang..!

Comment

Don't forget, you can weld stainless to mild steel using normal mig wire, but the welds will rust - just oil after every use

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrob445 View Post
                Don't forget, you can weld stainless to mild steel using normal mig wire, but the welds will rust - just oil after every use
                Not really good welding practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1n View Post
                  316 is the marine grade stainless, also called A4. I've bent and broken too many stainless steel forks now and always use a high carbon steel; it rusts but the tines have lasted decades and the wooden handle was easy to replace when it broke. Just like triggers brush.
                  triggers brush , how hilarious that was it gotta be in the top ten comedy sketches of all time

Comment

Classic's, still on to this day. So many favourite episodes, either the chandelier, or the bar hatch.

Comment

Not really good welding practice.
                      I agree, but it works!

Comment

Working...
                      X