Loss of access at Whitley Bay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of access at Whitley Bay...

Well, it looks like we could very soon be losing access to the rocks from the lower prom at Whitley (alongside the Rex Hotel and the back of Whitley Pipe) if the council get their way! I wonder whether they have consulted with any of the local rescue services, lifeguards, RNLI etc as it will mean that there will no longer be any access to the foreshore between the south end of Whitley beach to Brown's Bay if the sets of steps are in-filled as they propose. Bad enough news for all the anglers wishing to access these marks, but what if anyone were to find themselves in difficulty along this stretch of the shore, there'll no longer be any means of getting off the rocks quickly and, of course, it means that the emergency services will no longer be able to gain access should it be required. Objections to this proposal need to be submitted within 28 days of the publication of this notice, which was dated 22 nov in the Whitley Guardian.

I don't have photo bucket any more so can't post the copy of the notice on here but if you're on Facebook I've posted it on the Whitley Club page here...

Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

Hopefully it won't just be anglers objecting to this as I believe the issue goes a lot further and I really hope this doesn't get the go-ahead!

Cheers, Gary
    ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
    on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

loss of access

my brother and I raised this with the council over three years ago when they had the displays at the church hall in Tynemouth front street. we asked the question about safety access for life brigade ,ambulance and police in case of people injured or trapped on the rocks and in case of a craft of any kind hitting the pipe which has happened in the past.
    their reply was "why would anybody want to go on those dangerous rocks".
    we pointed out that apart from anglers many more holiday makers used them as they walked along the rocks from the beach to get back on the promenade to continue their walk.they said that they would have to turn around go back the way they came.
    the plans also had designs for a diver changing room building in the sunken garden at browns bay and an outdoor badminton court below southcliffe on the promenade,above the pipe the plan was to build a false cliff as a climbing area.

we can only hope it takes as long to get funding as it took for the dome.
    john summerbell

Comment

Working...
    X