Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the best tides for Plaice ?

Comment

I would think small to medium tides are when they are feeding best, plus a bit of sunshine and calm seas.
      P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea_Troot View Post
        plaice should start to arrive from end of march time beginning or april, rag worm tipped with fresh peeler is a good bait and plenty colour in your rigs, try wishbone rigs these can work well. middens beach at high tide is a good shot for them.

there are already reports of plaice being took from over the west coast maryport and morcombe bay only small but its good signs.

turbot can be took from drudidge and warkworth they will come into feed on the sandeels when the sandeels come back onto the beaches around the back end of spring. best thing to do is go down on a big low tide and look for any likely looking holes the fish may come into on the flooding tide. use plain leads just enough to hold bottom and short casts. if you dont get anything reel in a couple of turns and let it settle back down.

i have also had plaice from king eddies and blyth beach aswel.
        The last time I fished druridge, I fished it over low water. If you find the holes, you'll find the turbot sitting in them.

Heres the report...

I think the fish tend to spread out as the tide floods.
        Davy

Comment

last yr tinman caught a turbot i believe of horden . and i landed quite a few plaice from horden. clear and calm waters just a gentle lob. fish baits rag prawn will take them size 4 hooks are effective. and so are beaded snoods and wire booms.
          Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
          Kompressor SS /slosh30
          tt sport /525 mag

Comment

I got very lucky and caught a 3lb Turbot at the north end of Druridge last summer (august I think). It was luck more than anything but it was taken on a rising tide just as the light faded). I was standing in about 3 foot of water, totally calm sea, and casting parallel to the beach. Every few minutes, I shifted the bait (mackerel strip) about five yards or so. Also had a couple of decent floundered.... That turbot (which I regret killing, actually) tasted Damn good... Good luck.
            PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

Originally posted by codcatcher3000 View Post
              last yr tinman caught a turbot i believe of horden . and i landed quite a few plaice from horden. clear and calm waters just a gentle lob. fish baits rag prawn will take them size 4 hooks are effective. and so are beaded snoods and wire booms.
              Sean (Seanyrooroo) has had Turbot off Horden. Then again that man could catch fish in a puddle in the road
              CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart 1971 View Post
                Sean (Seanyrooroo) has had Turbot off Horden. Then again that man could catch fish in a puddle in the road
                had a turbot myself off horden myself a few years back just a small one but none the less a turbot.
                did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Are fish baits best for Turbot ? or would crab and/or worms be better ?

Also, would you use beads on the trace for Turbot ? or is that mainly for Plaice.

Many thanks for all the help lads

Comment

I reckon long strips of Mackie, bluey or sandeel, size 2-2/0 hooks and beads probably don't hurt.
                    PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

Got a small plaice on Friday night two hours into flood at Cresswell. Put it back to keep growing.

Comment

Turbot. Embleton beach in the summer. Brilliant place

Comment

monster turbot

Originally posted by Sea_Troot View Post
                          plaice should start to arrive from end of march time beginning or april, rag worm tipped with fresh peeler is a good bait and plenty colour in your rigs, try wishbone rigs these can work well. middens beach at high tide is a good shot for them.

there are already reports of plaice being took from over the west coast maryport and morcombe bay only small but its good signs.

turbot can be took from drudidge and warkworth they will come into feed on the sandeels when the sandeels come back onto the beaches around the back end of spring. best thing to do is go down on a big low tide and look for any likely looking holes the fish may come into on the flooding tide. use plain leads just enough to hold bottom and short casts. if you dont get anything reel in a couple of turns and let it settle back down.

i have also had plaice from king eddies and blyth beach aswel.
                          has anyone heard of the double figure turbots coming off druridge bay? It's been mentioned on another forum, and it may have been awhile ago , cracking fish but i cant find any reports anywhere? cheers

Comment

Originally posted by magpies View Post
                            Planning to have a good go at catching some decent Plaice this year, but when do they arrive inshore ? I was led to believe they are more of a summer species ? I heard a good mark for them is the first gate at SSP.

Same question for Turbot ? Was planning to have a go up at Druridge Bay when it's the right time.

Many thanks for any help and advice.
                            as most has been said, so I 'll try keep it short as po, from brigade hut to
                            2nd seat past gate was always good for decent plaice but seems to have waned the a bit the last few years, also I have had good plaice from rubble area 30 - 31 marks , also the most I have had and and seen caught is 44 - 45 marks on pier and S E corner and end of pier can produce as well, I prfer rag worm as best bait ,but others reckon sand eel or Mackie is the killer bait groyne and bout 100 yds from groyne on beach also can produce , to me the most important factor is sunny, calm and clear sea is best

Comment

Working...
                            X