Blythe Beach in the 80's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blythe Beach in the 80's

I've recently returned to Gods country after 25 years of living in Devon. Took the kids out for a day at the beach last week and ended up at one of my old favourite fishing marks - Blythe Beach.
    Brought back memories of what has to be the best shore session I have ever had.
    Are we sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.
    Was about this time of year in the early/mid 80's , my cousin and I decided to have a session on Blythe beach, had a few peelers and mussels in the freezer so nipped into town and picked up a few bags of lug fromJohn Robertsons (think that was name, used to be in the Haymarket), and set off home to pick up the tackle.
    Some person of doubtful parentage t-boned the car on the way and wrote it off. Never mind we went by bus and foot (bloody long walk if my memory serves me). Now our usual mark was occupied my a beached, burn't out coaster which had come ashore (this should help date it, if anyone remembers) so we decided to fish in front of it. Waited a couple of hours till the sun was setting and set to.
    First cast and the tackle had hardly hit the bottom before the rod tip rattled, no need to strike as the fish headed off to Norway, 10 mins later and a plump 6lb codling was flapping in the surf. We was happy bunnies.
    Then the Tilley blew up, bugger it, we carried on using head torches. Next cast and the same happened, my cousin was a bit peeved as he hadn't had a single tap, which made a change as the bugger usually out fished me 2 to 1!
    His luck changed and soon it was almost a fish a cast, nothing bigger than 6lbs, but nothing smaller than 4.
    By first light I'd landed 37 fish and Paul had 32. Trouble was how the hell were we gonna get them home? Paul walked a few miles to find a phone and tried every one we could think of, got the same answer from em all at 7am on a Sunday morning - bugger off. So we hatched a plot. If we gutted them it would reduce the weight to carry, so we gutted em on the beach (seagulls loved us that morning). Now neither of us had a any bin bags to carry em in so we decided to empty our tackle bags (buried contents in the sand dunes to be retrieved at a later date - never did find the bloody place again) and filled our bags and waterproofs with codling and set off on the long walk to Whitley Bay for the bus home, trouble is no buses till about 9am and the codling were still leaking. Never mind collapsed in a bus shelter and waited for the first bus.
    The old buses had a luggage area just by the front door so bags went there for the hour bus journey home. Codling carried on leaking...
    There was, by the time we got to Gateshead, a foul smelling puddle of slime and blood leaking all over the front of the bus - we didn't know cos, well, we were fast asleep at the back, by the heater vents.
    Bus driver was not amused, took our names and addresses (and a couple of fish) and Northern General sent me a bill for the best part of £100 for cleaning the bus.
    Was still the best session I've ever had though, doubt it will happen again, but I've still got the memory.

Cracking read mate
    PB SHORE COD 9LB 14oz seaton sluice 3/11/12
    PB BOAT COD 9lb 15oz
    PB COALIE 9lb 8oz
    PB LING 7lb 8oz

Comment

Good read mate, and a fantastic session. £100 to clean a bit floor on a bus...........think I know where I would have told them to stick the bill
      Fished Blyth all me life, and those were great times when the fishing was at it's hight. Well, welcome back up norf mate.
      P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Funny thing is Blythe beach was weird, only place I ever caught bass in the north, BUT it either fished or it didn't, I can remember it being netted for it's full length one winter.

Fully intend to give it a few goes this winter.

Comment

good story matey.bb

Comment

very good indeed

Comment

Good read that

Comment

Nice read mate, have just moved back to the north east myself after 15 years in the army.

Comment

you'll be lucky to land 37 fish in a whole season these days. Just a shame i'll never experience fishing like that. Thanx for the memories!

Comment

Was this the ship?

Panoramio - Photo of Blyth beach - Northumberland (ship grounded after a storm in 1987)

Comment

can remember chris stringer with a 60lbplus bag in a whitley match round about the sane time ,and the rest of the local lads getting massive bags for over a week,then it was netted from one end to the next, end of sport. davy.
                      PB
                      COD 21-15-0 Tynemouth pier R/M match
                      COD 20-4-0 Sharpness, Tynemouth open
                      Ballan Wrasse 5-6-0 Seahouses summer league
                      Pollock 11-5-8 ST Abbs Spinning sandeel
                      Dogfish 2-15-14 Tynemouth pier match R/M
                      Coaly 3-5-8 Tynemouth pier match r/m
                      Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

Great story, I enjoyed reading that. We just don't see that happening anymore. It must have been a hectic night. That must be one of the best catches ever from the north east coast.
                        What I find even more amazing is how you got them to Whitley Bay.
                        37 fish all between 4 and 6lbs; that's an average of 5lbs each; 185lbs in total. Even gutted they would still weigh well over 150lbs.
                        A full size bag of cement weighs 1cwt or 112lbs; put three 14lb mels on top of that; and you humped that off Blyth beach; walked through Seaton Sluice all the way to Whitley Bay.
                        You must be built like Charles Atlas! I would have called a taxi.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisH View Post
                          Great story, I enjoyed reading that. We just don't see that happening anymore. It must have been a hectic night. That must be one of the best catches ever from the north east coast.
                          37 fish all between 4 and 6lbs; that's an average of 5lbs each; 185lbs in total. Even gutted they would still weigh well over 150lbs.
                          A full size bag of cement weighs 1cwt or 112lbs; put three 14lb mels on top of that; and you humped that off Blyth beach; walked through Seaton Sluice all the way to Whitley Bay.
                          I would have sold them to a chippie in Whitley then went on -iss

Comment

That's possibly the bugger! Possibly! I thought it was earlier than 87 as the car I had written off was a metallic green Mk111 Cortina! Also the ship in question had been on fire (carrying, if my memory is correct, lumber), It would have been no later than 86 as that was the year I started a degree in applied biology, so possibly 84 or 85.
                            Last edited by Jeffrob445; 30-09-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisH View Post
                              I was a hell of a lot younger, fitter and stronger in those days! Also removed the heads! But I reckon we carried the best part of 100lbs of fish a very LONG way. Didn't have the cash for a taxi - very few cash machines in those days.

Can anyone else remember the lug/rag vending machine that used to be outside Welches (I think that was the name) Tackle shop in Whitley Bay?
                              Last edited by Jeffrob445; 30-09-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X