Sprat fishing Loyds Jetty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprat fishing Loyds Jetty

Anybody remember in the early seventies sprat fishing off Loyd's jetty ?
    we used to buy a spool of line between about six of us and each would wind enough line around a wooden close peg , use old nuts / bolts for weights' and what ever bits of fish we were given off the quay for bait , most of our summer holidays were spent down there

Happy Days

Used to do it myself in the 60s. this is where I got the fishing bug. Can u remember the blokes when I was down there they used to catch something called puddlers 2-3 at a time

Comment

Yup you did not have to wait long between bites those days

Comment

LLoyds Hailing station

Used to fish it with me owld dad in the 7o's.

Although it was only a yard wide, it was over 100 yards long so it gave you ready access to the deep water channel.

I've seen well over a dozen rods with multipliers lined up on that one yard rail at the end and never a tangle 'cos we all knew what we were doing.

You would cast 'up-tide' and move everyones rod a couple of inches downtide, placing your rod at the end of the rail and so on as each angler casted.

I've had and seen scores of prime cod caught from there in deepest Winter. Aye, them wor the days.

There were also scores of 'Poddlers'(coalies) to be had by the laddies dabbling at the sewer outfall just to the left of the jetty.

Comment

Used to fish off the (now almost derelict) jetty next down from the Groyn at So Shields (think it was a pilot jetty at the time) must have been 1963 or 1964 ish. Always with a hand line (on the wooden frame) with the orange line and a watch lead.
          More crabs than fish , but reckon crabs were more interesting at the time anyway ..... bait always the same, a fresh herring from the wet fish shop ........ aye memories memories.
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
          ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
            Used to fish off the (now almost derelict) jetty next down from the Groyn at So Shields (think it was a pilot jetty at the time) must have been 1963 or 1964 ish. Always with a hand line (on the wooden frame) with the orange line and a watch lead.
            More crabs than fish , but reckon crabs were more interesting at the time anyway ..... bait always the same, a fresh herring from the wet fish shop ........ aye memories memories.
            Aye Norm,

I remember that, think it was called 'The Railway Jetty'.

Didn't it have a geet iron winch on it where the cruel little buggers used to put their crabs in the cogs and grind them doon.

I was aalways chasin them. It's now 'The Walkway' but the piles of the owld jetties are still there.

Mind you, Aa've had some clonkin' codlin off there. Even now it hoys up the odd decent fish.

Comment

P.S.

And just a bit further alaang, right in the middle of the 'New Hooses' was the 'Velva Liquids' jetty a great cod spot if you climbed on efta dark.

Remember 'The Torso in the Tank' case where the girls body had been wrapped in an owld cardy and dumped in the chemical tank. However the petro-sludge preserved the remains and a Velva worker was convicted of the murder. Aye, happy days!

Comment

LOL aye Drof, remember the velva body well I was at school then, also around the same time (about 1962/3) was the lennigs explosion in Jarrow where someone got thrown across the road and landed through a roof of a nearby house ..... me and my class mates were at Jarrow baths (school session) at the time, must`ve gone straight over our heads.
                ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Lloyds

Lloyds Jetty was a brilliant spot - fished it loads in the 70's and early 80's. I was on the end the day that a drifter steamed stright into it and took out the middle planks - fun getting off! They pulled the top off not long after - a sad loss. Took my best ever bag there - 7 fish to 3lb in just over an hour. It was always full of young'uns in the summer catching loads of sprats - funny how there is none there to catch nowadays, Overfishing by all the boats working there then maybe ???

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
                    Aye Norman, there was the Pilot jetty, then Geordies jetty, then the Oil jetty. those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by drof46 View Post

Remember 'The Torso in the Tank' case where the girls body had been wrapped in an owld cardy and dumped in the chemical tank. However the petro-sludge preserved the remains and a Velva worker was convicted of the murder. Aye, happy days!
                      Happy days!!!!......torso in the tank girl.......you must have a hell of a life these days
                      Tides & Sea State For North Shields
                      http://www.mumm.ac.be/EN/Models/Oper...n=northshields

Comment

Originally posted by johnf View Post
                        Happy days!!!!......torso in the tank girl.......you must have a hell of a life these days
                        'twas said 'tongue-in-cheek' Bonny Laird, tongue-in-cheek. It's what's knaan as an 'ironic statement'

Anyway, does anybody knaa what became of the Sooth Shields lad who was given 'Life' for the killing. He was the subject of the B.B.C. 'Rough Justice' programme aboot a dozen years ago. They were tryin' to get his conviction quashed.

Did he get oot or did he die in jail orriz he still in theor?

Comment

More of a paradox Geordie Hinny. Apparently he served his sentance & was released. Although "rough justice" did a show on him and the flimsy evidence involved.

Many years ago as a bairn (early 80's) I used to fish down the side of North Shields fish quay using herring for bait & converted wire coathangers for booms. Used to get sprats & some good coalies.
                          Tides & Sea State For North Shields
                          http://www.mumm.ac.be/EN/Models/Oper...n=northshields

Comment

Originally posted by drof46 View Post
                            Aye Norm,

I remember that, think it was called 'The Railway Jetty'.

Didn't it have a geet iron winch on it where the cruel little buggers used to put their crabs in the cogs and grind them doon.

I was aalways chasin them. It's now 'The Walkway' but the piles of the owld jetties are still there.

Mind you, Aa've had some clonkin' codlin off there. Even now it hoys up the odd decent fish.
                            sorry i was one of them cruel little buggers i spent all of my pocket money on
                            worms from welches tackle shop ocean rd only for the crabs to eat them,can still hear the sound of the geet winch. HAPPY DAYS

Comment

haha truth at last eh

Comment

Working...
                              X