Sadistic Old Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadistic Old Man

As a 13 year old, on holiday in Eyemouth, me and the old man went fishing at Yellow Craig, south of Coldingham (Deep Gut, if you know it). We'd been fishing a while when the old man called me over....
    "Come and look at this" he whispered.
    I crept over and in one of the beautifully pristine pools, sitting on a flat rock, in about 6 feet of water, was a lobster which looked about 4lb to me (I knew a bit about lobsters, well wiggies anyway, as the old man had taken me to the top of Cullercoats Harbour, Briar Dene et al with his stick and loop and I'd caught one or two).
    "You'll never get him out" he said "unless.............you sit still, in silence, and stare at him. He can see you and, after a while, he'll become transfixed with your shape and swim up to investigate. You'll have to be quick though because as soon as you move, he'll be off....you'll only get one chance"
    Challenge accepted I sat there, looking at this magnificent specimen while the old man went back to fishing. Every now and then he'd quietly call "Any movement yet?" I'd shake my head unable to tear away from staring the lobster out. This went on for what seemed to me to be hours. I marvelled at the lobsters ability to restrain itself from rising to explore my shadow but this only increased my determination to win "our duel"
    From nowhere I was aware of being struck on the back of the head by something hard but wet before the pool exploded into life. The old man had caught a dirty black codling and, as it was time for tea, and he had tired of his game he'd winged it at me and having hit me it went over my head into the pool where it dived for the bottom.
    On examining the clearing water the lobster had gone, to be replaced with millions of shell fragments, slowly sinking to the bottom. The lobster had not been a real one but a cast from one that had obviously peeled in the night and the old man had taken great delight in watching me watching it while thinking it was watching me. Oh, how he laughed as we trudged back over the bank top. "I tell you what" he said, "You've got some patience, you"

"No bloody sense mind you"

Lol class David, I bet just about all of us have been caught something like this by adults when we were younger.

Jim.
    Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Nice one Dave, you should write a book about your excursions fish up there, im sure it would make for a good read
      Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
      http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
      http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

My old man used to pull things like that, was a swine for winding people up.

Comment

Great story David
          Cheers, Keith.

Comment

what a belter mate
            Panel Pin Champ

Comment

great story dave my dads never pulled me for one of them tricks...yet
              keep kids off the streets, give them a rod.

Comment

quality mate....loved it.

Comment

Fatha's eh .
                  Nice one Dave.
                  You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Funny how things spring to mind.........I wrote a spoof write up of our pretend Teacher Union holiday in Gran Canaria in the May half term holday. Some of it is school based but they found it funny so I'll post it if you want. I'm enjoying my writing efforts at the minute, even though I haven't fished since the NESA Comp hence my posts on the board have been limited.

Comment

Quality. Thats the reason why you should write another book, the countless stories and knowledge that you must have gained from your "old man" should never be lost.

Comment

Thats a cracking story David it has just reminded me of the time myself (7yrs) my Dad and Grandad were up at Budle bay before bait digging was banned and I wouldn't stop working myself when they were digging trenches for the as I remember bloody good lugworm anyway they tried alsorts to get me to shut up and stop running about even the offer of money for me getting missed worms wasn't enough so then my Dad told me about the Driscols that live in the sand that are about the size of bin lids with 10 legs and wouldn't go for grown men but would have ago at small boys like myself well the result was instant my Dad then had to finish the digging with a small boy clamped to one of his legs LOL its times like these that make growing up with fishing and family very special

The other one that springs to mind is my first 12ft conoflex beach caster with mitchel 622 fixed spool on blyth pier at the age of 13 and small for my age having to have a worried Dad holding onto my waste as I cast out just on the off chance that I threw myself off the pier as he knew I would never let go even if my life depended on it one day while out on a charter boat abou10yrs I got two 5lbers on at the same time and he grabbed me just in time before taking a swim

Sorry for going on but as you can tell the passion has been with me from an early age and as we all know it never leaves!!
                        Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

excellent stuff from both of you

Comment

that was a cracking read david thanks for sharing mate
                            Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught

Comment

Ivan, is that what he really meant when he said " If you don't stop running around, you'll get grabbed by the Driscols" Great stories lads...

Comment

Working...
                              X