No announcement yet.

memories of the wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it was defo coast and country. they used to sell shotguns and air weapons aswell all the fishing stuff. i think it was on the corner of olive street, sort of opposite where chaplins is now.

Comment

No sorry mate, I don't doubt it was called Coast and Country, I am sure it was, what I am not sure about is, if it was definately the shop I used that time. I think it was but the memory is not what it once was lol.

Jim.
      Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

no worries.
        you've got me thinking now wether there was any other shops that i might have forgotten about.

Comment

coast and country used to be next to chaplins in sunderland i remember that and am not old as yee lot tho

oh and there used to be one called k9 tackle i think same area
          Panel Pin Champ

Comment

nicw one coddy.
            forgot about k9. cant even remember if i ever went in there or not but i recall the name

Comment

Cheer's Coddy, I thought there was another one but I don't recognise the name so I think it probably was Coast and Country I used.

Jim.
              Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

aye jim the main fishing shop in town in them days was c+c if i remember rightly it was dave that run it .the k9 other shop wasnt there long didnt have much in it really just bait to sell odd rod second hand
                Last edited by codseeker; 15-02-2010, 10:43 PM.
                Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Originally posted by pondlife View Post
                  nicw one coddy.
                  forgot about k9. cant even remember if i ever went in there or not but i recall the name
                  i remember k9, used to be the better of the shops for rag, also remember coast and country, one of the lads who used to work in coast and country gets on roker pier.

Rutherfords is still the best and has survived for 30 years, you can get anything from andy and is always willing to give advice.

Comment

can you remember the fish bowl down by the museum used to stock the triple fish line i used to like.

then there was robsons just going into town from the west /think it was robsons.

then there was a shop in the arcade opposite the empire its on the tip of me tounge someone will remeber it.

record flounder remember that realy well except for exact wieght over 4lb possibly 4lb 10 ounces.

were have all the years gone and the good times.
                    Last edited by john/r; 16-02-2010, 11:44 PM. Reason: spelling correction
                    did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Some good posts here I used to fish a lot in th 70's things I can remember is getting my bait from Tennicks Monkwearmouth if not from there it would be going down the river low tide and getting mussels or we used to get massive rag from the dredger cos my uncle knew one of the lads. I can remember hiding on the floor of my uncles car getting into the south docks because you needed a pass, we used to fish from what we called then the Orange Buoy just opposite the old North Pier it was a great spot best fish we caught was a 6 1/2ib Rock Codling there was a lot of them around due to the kelp beds. Of course you were not allowed to fish there and the security used to move you on. Other places was the Rat House Corner or the Arches on the South Pier dodgy in rough seas, if we ran out of weights we used to use old chain, another nice spot was under the town bridge where some nice size coalies were caught, I was once fishing there and I turned around and there was a rat with a mussle in its mouth starin at me I nearly s...t myself it was as big as a cat no lies it ran passed me and straight up the bridge wall.............Happy Days
                      Marriage is like deep-sea fishing. You never know what you've got until you get it in

Comment

love reading these old stories, more please!
                        you want to see some of the rats down Mill Dam on the Tyne, have your alloys away and sold before youve cast a line!

Comment

flatties

i remember teaching my kids ta fish by the golden lion .loads of flatties on light gear with herring,kipper or mackeral.i also remember an old guy who lived in a hut next to the pub and always telling us stories when he used to run the ferry accross the river (didn't know wether to believe him).

Comment

my 1st fishing experiences were as a child on the wear... thru the cut at the pigeon lofts southwick down to the lime kilns... flattie heaven 8)

i remember dropping my dads shakespeare knife over the side... damn was i in trouble that day

Comment

Originally posted by codseeker View Post
                              ... if i remember rightly it was dave that run it ...
                              Your reet.

Dave Millar. Millars in owld arcade North end of Sunderland railway station + Millars opposite Empire + Coast and Country Derwent St, opposite the old Albion pub (Chaplins).

Thanks to Tony M (whos memory is much better than mine)
                              Last edited by Ivor Spraggon; 21-12-2011, 01:03 AM.

Comment

tennicks

i think the name before tennicks tackle shop was called welshies on dundas street

Comment

Working...
                                X