'Battery' Jetty late 1970's early 80's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Battery' Jetty late 1970's early 80's

Entering my 50th year now and fishing has punctuated all my 'best' and 'not so best' memories over the years, I tend to fish shore in the winter, coarse, (for Barbel) in the late summer/Autumn and trout and salmon as per season ...very much a jack of all trades master of none! Back in the late 1970's my father lived on the end of South Shields pier fishing the 'Blocks' sometimes daily, anyway l digress, my favorite spot was what my dad called the battery jetty just up from Mill Dam, (in those days Mill Dam and the battery jetty were great little spots), anyway, one late autumn night l set up as usual at the end of the jetty on a relatively good tide, rag, lug and a bit of frozen crab, (no school the next day), reasonably warm, and my newly acquired 7000 in hand. Game on as they now say, and like many back in the 1970's l hankered after the red beauty from Sweden, (which seemed very exotic to a lad from Gateshead), anyway that night casting just slightly to the left of the peer l hit 5 cod all above or arround the five lb mark and my 7000 was well and truly christened, anyway l am still fishing the shore, and these days sometime a fish is a bonus, for me its all about the hunt, the anticipation and being out in the open air.....l still have that 7000, plus a 7000c, 7000b, 6500 and far too many coarse and fly reels....my poor wife puts up with a lot
    Currently using: Grey's Apollo Mk1 with Ambassedeur 7000B, Greys Bass rod with 6500, Greys lure rod with low profile blue max.

Mick's 2019 Species List: codling, dab, flounder, Pollock, bass, whiting, eel.

wellcome to nesa.great 1st report.i them were good fishing times.ps,i gather your from the s/s area.

Comment

Nice first post mate, look forward to more
      Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

welcome

there will be lots of stories similar to yours out there.

I've fished the sea for 45 years myself and also had that red 7000 in the 70s. if you had one of these you were at the top of the tree especially if you also had the first carbon rod, an abu atlantic 484 zoom. even if the carbon was only in the top 12in.

I eventually sold my 7000 for more than i'd paid for it 20 years earlier.

Comment

warm welcome to NESA m8
          consett warlord retired

Comment

A big welcome and great first post.

Comment

thanks for the warm welcome chaps, l have just got back from a short session at St Peter's basin, a total of eight fish mainly small but included in the bunch was a 2 1/2 lb cod
              Currently using: Grey's Apollo Mk1 with Ambassedeur 7000B, Greys Bass rod with 6500, Greys lure rod with low profile blue max.

Comment

Originally posted by regpude View Post
                wellcome to nesa.great 1st report.i them were good fishing times.ps,i gather your from the s/s area.
                from gateshead, now living in codurham but growing up in the north east fishing South shields pier was a 'right of passage'.

Comment

Originally posted by dabcatcher View Post
                  welcome

I've fished the sea for 45 years myself and also had that red 7000 in the 70s. if you had one of these you were at the top of the tree especially if you also had the first carbon rod, an abu atlantic 484 zoom. even if the carbon was only in the top 12in.

must admit one of my favorite sets ups is my 7000B with my Greys Apollo Mk1.

Comment

Originally posted by topbanana View Post
                    Nice first post mate, look forward to more

many thanks

Comment

where is the battery jetty? I know you say just up from the Mill Dam but how far? I remember fishing the old Pilot jetty and the massive mussel that used to grow there, not knowing at the time that it was bait.
                      Then Mill Dam and some good sessions and the huge rats.
                      And also the bullocks behind Laygate, got a huge flattie just over the side and my first knowledge of pillen and how it always got codling from the top jetty, another spot ruined by idiots setting fire to it.

Comment

Originally posted by dabcatcher View Post
                        welcome

Still use my 7000c , perfect for rougher marks were ya only lob it.

Comment

Battery jetty - Vidor batteries jetty - maybe ?????

Comment

I thought that but that is quite a way down river from Mill Dam

Comment

Great post mate (7000cman), welcome to nesa

Norm
                              Last edited by Norman; 22-02-2015, 11:41 PM.
                              ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                              ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X