Mill Dam Before Renovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill Dam Before Renovation

In my early teens I used to pile into the back of my dads Morris Mini Van (which actually had a cooper engine in it), my dad and his mate in the front, l used to fight for space between the rods, tackle boxes and bait, the van smelt of oil, leather seats fish, and it seemed to scream along. I would see the world flash past through the grubby back window and would always get excited as we sped past Tyne Dock. In those days Mill Dam still had the old ferry landing, the cinema/theatre, (Customs House), was still in a state of abandonment and corrugated steel loosely shuttered most of the downstairs windows, on cold winters nights you could shelter in the ruins and keep out of the wintry blasts that wound their way seaward from the Tyne, it was always handy for a quick call of nature, although to be honest inside the old custom building used to scare the living daylights out of me. Fishing was always reasonable both day and night and the Tyne seemed busy, the Bessie Surtees making the odd appearance, as she worked her way to Stella power station, (now long gone), and back out to sea on her loaded return. Mill Dam was alway a reasonable spot then, especially if the pier (South Shields) was busy or when the weather had blown all but the foolish or brave from the end of the aforementioned pier. Thirty five years later l still fish Mill Dam, it is no way near as prolific as it once was, (but where is these days), the place seems a lot more snaggy than it was in the past and at times. , (especially blank times), I am sure I only fish it for old times sake
    Currently using: Grey's Apollo Mk1 with Ambassedeur 7000B, Greys Bass rod with 6500, Greys lure rod with low profile blue max.

Mick's 2019 Species List: codling, dab, flounder, Pollock, bass, whiting, eel.

think you will find a lot of the old shots that used to be good years ago are just not that good anymore.
    I can go back 45years fishing the rat house, fish a cast lot of good coalies just chucked back no one wanted them.
    I did not have a car then had to get the bus to Newcastle then on the train to shields pick up my bait the walk along the pier, if there was nowt doing at shields jump on the bus down to roker.
    end the end of the day walk from roker into sunderland bus station to get the bus back up to Stanley. some of my best days out fishing.
    still love to get out in the fresh air for a days fishing best sport going
    consett warlord retired

Comment

Originally posted by dale19 View Post
      think you will find a lot of the old shots that used to be good years ago are just not that good anymore.
      I can go back 45years fishing the rat house, fish a cast lot of good coalies just chucked back no one wanted them.
      I did not have a car then had to get the bus to Newcastle then on the train to shields pick up my bait the walk along the pier, if there was nowt doing at shields jump on the bus down to roker.
      end the end of the day walk from roker into sunderland bus station to get the bus back up to Stanley. some of my best days out fishing.
      still love to get out in the fresh air for a days fishing best sport going
      like yourself Dale I rely on either public transport or lifts from other fisherman, the good thing about South Sheilds pier is that when you loose all your lead at least your bag is lighter on the walk back home
      Currently using: Grey's Apollo Mk1 with Ambassedeur 7000B, Greys Bass rod with 6500, Greys lure rod with low profile blue max.

Mick's 2019 Species List: codling, dab, flounder, Pollock, bass, whiting, eel.

Comment

Happy days I remember Mc dermots giving us the bits of ragworm that were tail ends then the walk mill dam to watch the voats picking anglers up then out to sea not long then i was one to out on a biat called the sandpiper but always back in for 2pm so the scipper got to the club lol I had codling upto 6lb from the boy down from tyne dock bring them days back, mind you a do live at dumfries & have my own boat now😊

Comment

Working...
        X