A short Tale of the Isle of Mull Mackeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A short Tale of the Isle of Mull Mackeral

Every Summer, well at least for the last twenty years, I head out for a few weeks to the Inner Hebrides, as it happens this year Skye is the destination, however my tale concerns the first time I visited Mull many years ago. I must point out that apart from sea fishing I am a passionate fluff chucker and coarse fisherman, so holidays always follow the form of camping gear plus fishing gear and finally family rammed into a car. I have been to Mull many times over the years but the first time was a revelation. Anyway I digress, and for the sake of brevity will cut to the scene of the first cast, the ferry jetty at Craignure on Mull, this is a very very deep ferry terminal where the Oban-Mull ferry docks on a regular basis. I had a good range of bait, the rag and lug were still in great shape despite the 10 hour drive, the frozen crab was nicely thawed and the whole place looked 'fishy' and with great gusto fueled by my excitement l cast away.........................three hours later not a bite, both myself and my brother in law Sean were blanking big time........stupid thoughts flashed through our heads........do English worms taste different, have the fish gone on holiday and so forth. An hour later my son came around the corner of the ferny building carrying an old dried out mackerel that was drier and tougher than the bottom of a 'Dessert Wellie', he had found it under a seat in the ferry terminal waiting room cut a long story short we cut it into strips and cast out, within minutes we were bringing in Dog fish for fun. So for the rest of the week we spun and caught mackerel by the barrow load and fished for Dog fish at night. I f you ever get a chance to fish the Hebrides always take oily fish as bait as the fish seem to 'dislike' English worm
    Currently using: Grey's Apollo Mk1 with Ambassedeur 7000B, Greys Bass rod with 6500, Greys lure rod with low profile blue max.

Mick's 2019 Species List: codling, dab, flounder, Pollock, bass, whiting, eel.

Craignure pier at sunset
    Attached Files
    Currently using: Grey's Apollo Mk1 with Ambassedeur 7000B, Greys Bass rod with 6500, Greys lure rod with low profile blue max.

Comment

Great story Great memories thanks for sharing
      Cheers Bert

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpoleman View Post
        Great story Great memories thanks for sharing
        many thanks, on that same holiday i found a bay that the locals called Mullet bay, it was not called that on the ordinance survey maps but thats what the locals called it, spent two days trying to catch the blighters, mullet that is, not the locals, blanked .........must have been free lining English bread the mullet were not happy with my offerings

Comment

Working...
        X