when l was a kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when l was a kid

started fishing when l was six with a bit line a hook and some silver paper from a tab packet had my first fish from pilot jetty steps coaly l lived at the law top south shields then we shifted to simonside were a kind old bloke give me my fisrt fishing rod and old wooden reel something like an alvi then got in with a few lads in the erea who went fishing first trip out with then l caught a 7lb cod bigest smile you ever did see the lads used to go to woolworths for there fishing gear and seem to be coming out with a lot more than they paid for after while one day they went in to woolworths came out and said here a prezzy it was my first mutiplyer of cause they didnt pay for it at the time l wasnt bothered l was one of the lads l remember making spoon wieghts thats all we ever used or spark plugs tights filled with sand and big nuts and bolts and we would chip in for a big bottle of pop get mam to make jam sarnies and biscuts thats it off for the day to velva or the pier all these years later still hitting the same old spots and never stoped enjoying it wish you could turn back time love every minute of it

aye jim lad thems was the days, rember goin downs the jetty beside the ratty cachin coalsies used to catch tons abouts 6 inches long aye thems days are gone ands so is the jetty, aye lad we was poor when we was kids, when its was cold me dad used to make me n me sisters sit around a candle, an when it gots really cold he used to light it, aye them was the days a remembers them well, tights lines mates
    PLACES IVE FISHED..

CHESIL BEACH DORSET, PORTLAND ROCKS DORSET, DUNGEONESS BEACH KENT, PORTHCAUL WALES,
    BLACKWATER ESTUARY ESSEX, HAYLING ISLAND

Comment

Originally posted by rocketman View Post
      when its was cold me dad used to make me n me sisters sit around a candle, an when it gots really cold he used to light it, aye them was the days a remembers them well, tights lines mates
      pmsl

Comment

Originally posted by rocketman View Post
        aye lad we was poor when we was kids, when its was cold me dad used to make me n me sisters sit around a candle, an when it gots really cold he used to light it, aye them was the days a remembers them well, tights lines mates
        You had a candle?and you lit it?....We were so poor all we had was a picture of a match..we slept 15 to a sack on the cobbles...never did me any harm!!!!

Comment

when i was a kid

Id be the same age as you fellows when i first started trying to fish but i started with a bobbin of thread and a few cushion pins that we bent to form a hook and i would fish for what we called poddlers small coalies we used to have lots of fun we did take chances going under the wooden jettys that was the place to catch them and small flatties.-----nobody remembers those days. im sure there will be a couple of oldies that did this ....regards

Comment

i'll never forget the day my mate for a laugh went fishing off walker ferry landing with the one worm he had lol must have been 1980 and how shocked me and me mates and the 20 blokes waiting for the ferry were when he caught the tinniest whiting u ever did see

Comment

im not that ancient so i carnt comment when the bombs was dropping am sure yas had a good time tho with jam n bread
              Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Coddy. I can remember when The Cormorants was The Crane and I've caught sprags up to 10lb off the olwd 'bird cage' jetty when the wooden lifeboat house and ramp were there .....

Comment

i remember the smell of the bone yard bottom of welbeck rd mmmmmmmmm well maybe mmmmmmmm is th wrong word

Comment

champion lad

hi mate,exiled down south now but getting back into it,summers spent on south shields pier,brilliant memorys.winters spent on south shields pier,showed our lass a picture of me and a 6lb cod caught of the side of the small wall at the top of the pier 30 years ago,it was on some old mussel and the lads werent happy as they were blanking,anyway our lass pointed out i was wearing wellies,i said so what,her replie was your on a pierit is dry land,never thought about it at the time
                    sometimes i sits and thinks,but thinks better whilst sitting on a rock fishing

Comment

Working...
                    X