Scotch Haddock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotch Haddock

When I was a junior in BOTAC we often used to catch what were called "scotch haddock" from the pier. They look like pouting but have the haddock thumb mark just above the gill cover. I haven't seen or heard of any for ages. I tried looking them up but drew a blank so I guess the name is a trivial local one. Anyone have the real name ?

a colleague of mine who goes out on boats in hpool says he catches them and he tells me they are basically haddock . dunno if this helps.
    however theyre are some who say that scotch haddock is basically blegg/stinkalives or commonly known as pouting
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Originally posted by codcatcher3000 View Post
      a colleague of mine who goes out on boats in hpool says he catches them and he tells me they are basically haddock . dunno if this helps.
      however theyre are some who say that scotch haddock is basically blegg/stinkalives or commonly known as pouting
      pouting some are light brown some are dark those offthe briar dene can be nearly black. davy.
      PB
      COD 21-15-0 Tynemouth pier R/M match
      COD 20-4-0 Sharpness, Tynemouth open
      Ballan Wrasse 5-6-0 Seahouses summer league
      Pollock 11-5-8 ST Abbs Spinning sandeel
      Dogfish 2-15-14 Tynemouth pier match R/M
      Coaly 3-5-8 Tynemouth pier match r/m
      Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

bleggs not the same as a haddock

Comment

hi billy i agree blegg is not haddock / but the question is , is blegg also known as scotch haddock ?
          Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
          Kompressor SS /slosh30
          tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Originally posted by codcatcher3000 View Post
            hi billy i agree blegg is not haddock / but the question is , is blegg also known as scotch haddock ?
            thats right a blegg is a scotch haddock
            the best way to cook them is
            take a pan of milk simmer your blegg for 10 minutes
            add a building brick simmer for another 10 minutes
            throw the blegg and milk away
            and eat the brick

Comment

The last pouting I caught on this coast was on Tynemouth Pier in the 80s. Agree with Dave they can change colour but you usually see the darker bands across them.

Comment

Originally posted by billyturbot View Post
                thats right a blegg is a scotch haddock
                the best way to cook them is
                take a pan of milk simmer your blegg for 10 minutes
                add a building brick simmer for another 10 minutes
                throw the blegg and milk away
                and eat the brick
                ha ha love it gues they are not the best eating then
                pb s ling 24lbs cod 10.7 lbs pollock 9.5 lbs mission on to beat these

Comment

Rodbuilding & rod repairs

Comment

That's one big Pouting !

Comment

and they taste quite nice as well
                      Alan

Comment

if ya get a decent one ya will get a couple nice fillets off it and they do taste nice alan

pouting ,blegg ,scotch haddock
                        Panel Pin Champ

Comment

my wife is a chef or should i say [chief] thinks she is and it was lovely with some mushy peas and potatoes
                          Rodbuilding & rod repairs

Comment

Up in Scotland pouting are also known as boogly eyes as their eyes tend to bulge out. Used to catch loads of them around wrecks but not any as big as the one in the pic, that is a good yin.
                            I reckon as long as they're fresh, they are good eating too and they make a braw fish pie.

Comment

Biggest one I've caught was from Samphire Hoe in Kent. The biggest in the match was about 3lb I think and they give a bit of a fight on the way in.

Comment

Working...
                              X