whitley bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whitley bay

just posted this in the shore fishing ,some one looking here might rememer this

seeing posts about old abu reels got me thinking,im in my 50s and remember buying a abu 7000 (red side plates) from a bloke that used to sell second hand gear from his flat (behind the hunting lodge in monkseaton,any one from this area remember him(big bloke) he used to fish the rex prom a lot,must have been the mid to late 70s early 80s.also buying a 7000c (black side plates) from a shop that opened next to the Alletsa ballroom near the sea front,think the guy that sold from his flat might have had something to do with the shop.if i remember right the shop didnt last that long.great days using a conoflex flick tip and a 7000 fishing whitley beach-lol

Fatty Buster!! Yeah, I got one or two bits & pieces from him - back then second-hand gear was pretty limited to a few classifieds in the paper, the odd item in the tackle-shops or hearsay: "I know someone who's got a......."

No e-bay, gumtree, forums, internet etc etc.....them were the days!

Gary
    Last edited by g-force; 11-07-2012, 08:47 AM.
    ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
    on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Originally posted by g-force View Post
      Fatty Buster!! Yeah, I got one or two bits & pieces from him - back then second-hand gear was pretty limited to a few classifieds in the paper, the odd item in the tackle-shops or hearsay: "I know someone who's got a......."

No e-bay, gumtree, forums, internet etc etc.....them were the days!

Gary
      lol ,i bought a fair bit of stuff of him,he used to have a add in the whitley gardian,his living room used to be full of rods-reels ect.wonder if he,s still around.did he have that shop next to the alletsa

Comment

Can't say I remember the shop Peter, but with the amount of gear he had lying around as you say I'd be surprised if he didn't have some sort of outlet. Don't think they had car boot sales back then otherwise I'm sure he'd have been a regular fixture! I've no idea if he's still around but I'm sure others will remember him.

Gary
        ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
        on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

I dont know the bloke you are talking about,but i can remember a tackle shop opening halfway down the esplanade in Whitley bay,i used to get my worms from him sometimes.
          Those were the days,a 30p bag of scraps from temples would last for hours on cullercoats pier, until the tide dropped enough to go and kick a few limpets off,then go home when you were hungry.

Comment

you know your geeting old when you wish you could go back to them times,i seemed to fish a hell of a lot more then,id be out every other day at least.no internet then to check the sea state,used to live in shiremoor and would nip down the coast after work to check the sea out,if it looked good ,back home for me tea then back down fishing,remember getting up at 2am on xmas morning to fish the high tide from the rex prom then back home to open me presents,a nice abu 7000 so back down to whitley beach xmas night to fish watts slope at low tide.there was nowhere near the choice in rods and reels then,used to buy a conoflex blank -rings ,varnish,threads ect from temples and and build rod myself,used to put the blank on a big cardboard box with a v cut out each side,in the sitting room,mam brother and sister had to step over it to get in and out,had to put a couple of eyes on then then put line through and bend blank to make sure line woudnt thouch.might not have been the greatest looking rods but caught plenty of fish(there was a lot more there to catch mind).would love to go back and re-live them times--lol

Comment

the lad that had the shop next to the allesta ballroom moved to a shop next to the model shop on whitley road I think shop was doing really well used to get my trilene in bulk spools and started to get bait there when short,but he did a moonlight one night . davy.
              PB
              COD 21-15-0 Tynemouth pier R/M match
              COD 20-4-0 Sharpness, Tynemouth open
              Ballan Wrasse 5-6-0 Seahouses summer league
              Pollock 11-5-8 ST Abbs Spinning sandeel
              Dogfish 2-15-14 Tynemouth pier match R/M
              Coaly 3-5-8 Tynemouth pier match r/m
              Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

Originally posted by liquidlen View Post
                I dont know the bloke you are talking about,but i can remember a tackle shop opening halfway down the esplanade in Whitley bay,i used to get my worms from him sometimes.
                Those were the days,a 30p bag of scraps from temples would last for hours on cullercoats pier, until the tide dropped enough to go and kick a few limpets off,then go home when you were hungry.
                "Whitley Bait & Tackle" I think it was called, remember that place from when I was a kid, used to get our bait from there when I was about 12-13yrs old.

Comment

Working...
                X