Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a trip to remember on the briar

[ATTACH]6884[/ATTACH]
    in the mid 80's a group of us from Tynemouth club booked a day on the briar and what a trip it turned out to be. Most of the lads in the photo are still fishing but I'm sure Mr Charlton will recognize the big hairy bloke at the front.
    We met on the quayside and were approached by a stranger who asked if there was a space for the day and John agreed to let him join us making it unlucky 13 on board. I vividly remember the first couple of wrecks being very poor producing only the odd fish however John eventually positioned us over a wreck and said "I think this will be the one. Oh how right he was.
    Within seconds of hitting the bottom we were all into fish (except for one of us Mr Haley) and there followed the most incredible 10 minutes I have ever experienced. the surface of the water on both sides of the boat was littered with big cod. I remember watching John running round with two gaffs lifting fish after fish over the side. My first drop produced 3 good fish and as I looked over the side I saw cod breaking free and slowly sinking back into the depth. The second drop was just as hectic but again one of us failed to connect. by now he was starting to get a bit frantic as cod were appearing in greater size and quantity so I gave the unfortunate one a bigger pirk which seemed to do the trick as on the next drift he hit his first fish of the day.
    There then followed a couple of hours of the most fantastic fishing I have ever experienced with the cod getting bigger and bigger. 12lb and 14lb fish were becoming common and during the two hours my three biggest were 18lb, 20lb and 22lb. I also recall some of the lads hooking 3 big fish on a single drop and the sight of one in particular actually on his knees still brings a chuckle today. We never got round to weighing the total catch but John estimated it as possibly his biggest haul at that time. I'm sure that over time some of the memories have become a bit blurred however some will stick forever and I often wonder what happened to the lucky 13th member of the party. He surely couldn't have picked a better day to chance his luck with a bunch of strangers.

Great post mate! Its nice to here about the good old days!!!

Comment

Great write up Steve. I was lucky enough to go out on the Briar and still haven't beaten the 14 and 16 pounders I got on there.
      Davy

Comment

Cracking post mate love the old stories
        PB SHORE COD 9LB 14oz seaton sluice 3/11/12
        PB BOAT COD 9lb 15oz
        PB COALIE 9lb 8oz
        PB LING 7lb 8oz

Comment

some cracking fish and some cracking hair styles brilliant read
          species so far :cod,whiting,coalie,dab,flounder ,plaice,3bearded rockling,mackeral,granny fish best for 2012 :6lbcod

Comment

great story m8 and what a haul of cod a bet some trawlers struggle to get that in there nets these days haha
            Species 2012 - Cod, Flounder, Dab, Plaice, Pollock, Eelpout, Common eel, Granny Fish, Whiting, Coalie, LSD, Rockling, Bass.

Comment

Good day on the Briar

Had many a good day out with John. I am very good friends with the guy who started wrecking on the Tyne with John, the only skipper who was interested. Ask around, you may be suprised which name comes up.

Comment

remember it well steve there wasnt a cod or ling under 10lb i beleive the biggest cod went 25 lb and ling 28lb you are right about me not getting into fish until you gave me a heavy pirk was using a scarborough reel and all the lads had heavy multiplier reels and were getting to the bottom quicker,did have a cod and a ling both over 20lb at the same time made my day,was a red hot day and every one ran out of drinks,most of the lads still fishing in tynemouth club,still have your photo of your ex 20lb shore caught cod if you want it . davy.
                PB
                COD 21-15-0 Tynemouth pier R/M match
                COD 20-4-0 Sharpness, Tynemouth open
                Ballan Wrasse 5-6-0 Seahouses summer league
                Pollock 11-5-8 ST Abbs Spinning sandeel
                Dogfish 2-15-14 Tynemouth pier match R/M
                Coaly 3-5-8 Tynemouth pier match r/m
                Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

i'd love a copy Dave. yea I also remember being very thirsty on the way back in. I can honestly say it was the perfect day, great weather, great fishing and great company.

Comment

Great post. Thanks for sharing. It's always good to look back on our better days, although mine don't have so many good fish in the photos.
                    Tight lines
                    Davy

Comment

there was myself, Sean Blake and another lad all into fish at the same time, when they got close to the surface we each had three fish on all over 10lb, as they got closer they all tangled up, what a mess, we got them on board and where trying to sort the mess out, John came along with a sharp knike and cut the lot off "come on lads never mind about the tangle get fishing" which we did.
                      Alan

Comment

yes a good day was had by all, a once in a life experience.

seeing me on the photo shows how long ago it was,

Mr Charlton, the other bloke was me, fancy you forgetting that !!!!!

bob

Comment

Originally posted by boblydon View Post
                          yes a good day was had by all, a once in a life experience.

seeing me on the photo shows how long ago it was,

Mr Charlton, the other bloke was me, fancy you forgetting that !!!!!

bob
                          I know Bob just wanted to make sure you knew
                          Alan

Comment

am I the only one in the photo who hasn't aged. It's funny how I appear to be the only one having a very bad hair day apart from Alan's beard. I think I sold my catch to Geof Reay because I wanted to meet the lads in the pub and didn't know where to start filleting 200lb+ of cod. He was more than happy to take them off my hands for what was for me a small fortune at the time.

Comment

Its a bit spooky seeing Velva liquids in the background, to think the body could be in one of those tanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X