Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherry Whitburn

Thinking of giving the wherry a bash,would like a little info please
    I have heard its a bit of tackle grave yard y/n?
    & has anyone had any good luck there of late?
    any info would be appreciated thanks
    weapons of choice
    Kompressor SS
    Zziplex Dymic Lt Bullet
    Penn 525 Mag 2
    Daiwa Millionaire 7HT Mag
    Daiwa Tournament Basia 45QDA
    Penn 525 Mag usa
    Daiwa Sl30sh

Hello, I fished the Wherry a few weeks ago on a big tide. It's difficult for me pin point the exact location but I was fishing off a flat rock about 15 foot up. It may have been called the shelf. I got to this location by parking behind whitburn lodge and a 6 to 8 minute walk straight down towards the sea got me and mate onto this great flat rock edge. We fished for over 3 hours and I lost one set of gear only. A long cast got me over the mixed ground onto sand. A short cast with heavy gear will get you into rock and kelp. Heavy gear is needed for a short chuck but definitly worth thinking about.

The bad news is, we caught one rockling between us but I imagine on its day, maybe today because there is a nice sea running from the north it will produce some fish.

Good luck and be extra careful when fishing the rock edges. I hope this helps.

Regards Rushy

Comment

the Wherry whitburn

Thanks for the help,going to try.
      weapons of choice
      Kompressor SS
      Zziplex Dymic Lt Bullet
      Penn 525 Mag 2
      Daiwa Millionaire 7HT Mag
      Daiwa Tournament Basia 45QDA
      Penn 525 Mag usa
      Daiwa Sl30sh

Comment

Originally posted by lovetofish View Post
        Hello, I fished the Wherry a few weeks ago on a big tide. It's difficult for me pin point the exact location but I was fishing off a flat rock about 15 foot up. It may have been called the shelf. I got to this location by parking behind whitburn lodge and a 6 to 8 minute walk straight down towards the sea got me and mate onto this great flat rock edge. We fished for over 3 hours and I lost one set of gear only. A long cast got me over the mixed ground onto sand. A short cast with heavy gear will get you into rock and kelp. Heavy gear is needed for a short chuck but definitly worth thinking about.

The bad news is, we caught one rockling between us but I imagine on its day, maybe today because there is a nice sea running from the north it will produce some fish.

Good luck and be extra careful when fishing the rock edges. I hope this helps.

Regards Rushy
        Hi mate have u seen that place at low water,not mixed ground very heavy in my opinion. Must of been lucky losing only one lot of gear aswell because I doubt even the longest caster could hit sand at that place. Fished this a fair bit over last couple years and had nothing other than rockling and coalies,from what i can gather it can have its day but is not a prolific mark. The wherry itself throws up more fish and is easier on the end tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by codhunter81 View Post
          Hi mate have u seen that place at low water,not mixed ground very heavy in my opinion. Must of been lucky losing only one lot of gear aswell because I doubt even the longest caster could hit sand at that place. Fished this a fair bit over last couple years and had nothing other than rockling and coalies,from what i can gather it can have its day but is not a prolific mark. The wherry itself throws up more fish and is easier on the end tackle.
          codhunter where abouts exactly is the wherry

Comment

its between marsden and roker you can either fish from the cliff top or down the bottom on the pebble beach its heavy ground kelp jungle

Comment

just keep walking south past the fog horn and souter lighthouse and the path will lead you down to a little shingle beach which is the bottom of the wherry, cliffs above is the top

Comment

I wanna go
                2011 : Coalfish, Codling, Common Eel, Dab, Flounder, Launce, Plaice, Whiting.

2012 : Whiting

Comment

Originally posted by stevie h View Post
                  I wanna go
                  Might head there next weekend if you fancy it

Comment

Haha sounds like a plan!
                    2011 : Coalfish, Codling, Common Eel, Dab, Flounder, Launce, Plaice, Whiting.

2012 : Whiting

Comment

Fish there alot find high water fishing down best had 7 lb couple month back lug n scallops mt quit rocky tho roten botoms needed

Comment

Originally posted by OuTkast76 View Post
                        just keep walking south past the fog horn and souter lighthouse and the path will lead you down to a little shingle beach which is the bottom of the wherry, cliffs above is the top
                        cheers outkast i'll check it out

Comment

the wherry and souter shelf courtesy of paulgh

and many more marks click on the red named marks

River Marks / Northumberland / Tyne & Wear / Durham
                          Last edited by codseeker; 13-02-2012, 12:06 PM.
                          Panel Pin Champ

Comment

excellent information mate no need to bother anyone again hopefully

Comment

"yours truly" may be the one to ask for info on this mark.

Comment

Working...
                              X