SW Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW Scotland

Had a trip across with Howitzer and theleek. Stayed at Sands of Luce caravan park. Excellent vans for a short stay.

Fished Saturday on the west side near Dunskey Castle. Nothing big but plenty of sport on and off with pollock and wrasse to around 2lb. Pollock were favouring sandeel with the wrasse nailing ragworm when the tide slackened off. A few coalies mixed in the catch.

Next morning went off to East Tarbit and fished the dropping tide. Again plenty pollock and wrasse with the odd mackerel. Big rods out with big fish baits produced a few doggies.

Evening session on a lovely warm night was back across the west side for the flood. Fished a mark down from Logan and had good sport with a decent stamp of pollock and coalies. Most of the pollock around 1.5lb to 2.5lb. Again a few wrasse and mackerel. Most caught on floated sandeel but a few falling to spinners. When it went slack I had a few pollock to jellyworms on a leadhead slowly bumped across the bottom. They gave good solid takes and fought well. Still catching into darkness with daylights on the floats.

A lovely sunset

Decided to be good lads and not go too heavy on the beer so we could get up at 5.00am for another session on that mark at first light. It paid off with fish straight away. The lads got pollock on the float while I got three in first four chucks as well as missed takes with the jellyworm. Wind picked up with the light and the fish started to thin out so off at 9.30am for breakfast and a kip. Best fish of the session had been Howitzer's pollock pushing 3.5lb.

One of the early morning pollock

Tried Terrally Bay in the afternoon but that was when the rain came hard and after half an hours soaking we called it a day.

All in all a good weekend. Spoke to the bloke in Ardwell Marine and he says there has been plenty of pollock in that range this year but the bigeer fish have been more scarce. Will add some photos when I figure out how to put them up on the new site.
    Last edited by peter.m; 22-09-2006, 10:37 PM.

Good report Peter, Dont suppose that this trip was a Reki for the Nationals coz if it was,you have got it back to front. Very little fishen done and loads ov Ale are your usual tactics. LOL.

Comment

Great report Peter. I'm hoping to get back to Logan soon to get me last bash at the Pollack. Was the mark you were fishing to the South of Logan?
      Davy

Comment

Blackrat, no doubt usual service will be resumed. Was hoping to find out a little bit about Terrally but p**sing rain and strong wind that blew my rod over smashing the tip sharp finished that.

Davy, it was a bit north of Logan, don't know the name. seemed everywhere was about the same. Fairly consistent depending on state of tide but needed a bit more effort if it got a bit of chop on.

Comment

"UP AT 5AM"....youre having a laugh. More like went to bed at 5am. We know you too well.

Nice report.
          A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work.

Comment

Originally posted by fozally View Post
            "UP AT 5AM"....youre having a laugh. More like went to bed at 5am. We know you too well.

Nice report.
            I really think you've got the wrong man. Howitzer is still in a daze, he keeps pinching himself.

Comment

Peter, do you know if your lot are in the venue Hotel or its Sister Hotel,We are trav a day early and are booked into the Castle for the xtra nite,gona try a nite sess. Then mite try a few Tennants...

Comment

Cracking report Peter,well done
                Cheers Alan...

Comment

Blackrat, believe we are in the main hotel. Was going to see how many want to travel early as I was thinking of doing the same and having a couple of hours, maybe at Terrally.

Tenants? What's that?

Thanks lads
                  Attached Files

Comment

The stamp of the wrasse

A cracking sunset that night

A canny view after the climb out of Tarbet

Got that photobucket stuff sorted!!
                    Last edited by peter.m; 22-09-2006, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X