X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travel Inn room 42 - posted on 11/12/2003

Author: Subject: Catch report - travel Inn room 42mark
    Super Moderator

posted on 11/12/2003 at 22:44Stayed in edinburgh a couple of nights this week, so decided to have a chuck in a led zeppelin stylee!

Casting proved to be a problem as the hotel window only opened 6 inches, but luckily, I had thought this one out in advance as a possible problem, so borrowed the bairns handline!

There's a bit of gap from the hotel wall to the harbour edge, but managed to develop a whole new casting style called the lassoo, which did the trick after a few attempts. For bait I had to show a bit more ingenuity, but did managed to buy a mixed seafood cocktail in safeways which had a few mussels in it - although I did try a new "mystery" bait also.

the drunk on the harbour wall didn't bat an eyelid when he looked up and asked what I was doing, although the grip on his bottle of sherry did loosen a bit - actually anyone heard from ell in the last day or 2...

Fishing, I shouts down to him. He pauses for a moment, takes another swig and then asks, "caught owt?" AS though this was a normal occurence. After I replied in the negative, I was half expecting him to tell me that room 41 next door is a better mark!

So tried mussel on its own for a bit, nowt doin, switched to crabstick and squid ring still no go, I'd eaten the prawns so there was only one thing left for it, and I'm proud of my ingenuity that followed.

The mussel was not holding on too well with the lassoo casting - even though it was cooked, so thought, I need some bait elastic - the one flaw in my so cunning plan, however I remebered my socks, so snipped a little nick in the top and pulled out a nice length of elastic. Next came the killer bait.

thread the mussel on the hook, next add a strip of doner kebab (with chilli sauce) and lash it on with a bit elastic and attempt a new world lassoo casting record (20feet).

so in she goes, and tied the handline to the settee in case some monster 25lb cod has had a bit much too beer and has the munchies.

Rolled a fag, and went to test the line, and whaddyya know its gone tight, so I though I'd best strike (!) and haul in the monster fish. What the fu ck I thought I'd do with a fish in a 3rd floor hotel room I hadn't actually thought about. (although more led zeppelin references came to mind), up it came and on the end was a crab about 5" munching me kebab. Ufortunately, the said creature was not well educated in the ways of gravity and decided to spit it out as it got to the window. They make a very loud noise when they hit concrete from 40 foot. The drunk nearly dropped his bottle again, so I nocked the lights out and watched his bewilderment for a while trying to remember when he'd last seen a flying crab.

Baited back up and out we go again, repeated the performance several times determined to land one, each time end in the same way, until on the 5th attempt I did indeed get a 5" shore crab into the bedroom. Nearly out of bait, so rolled everything that was left into kebab meat, held it together with whats left of me socks and fag papers and hoyed it out again - reckon I must have cast 25 feet this time and waited. This time it was a proper bite! And in came a 6" whiting! Proof if it be needed that they will indeed eat anything.

The final cocktail contained donner kebab, mussel, lettuce, chilli sauce, pitta bread crumbs, rizzlas and bits of sock. (my feet have been freezing today with nee socks on)

the whiting got chucked back, The crab?? well, the hotel receptionist looked like she needed cheering up, so I left it in the bath for the cleaners this morning!

All In all a canny night, and I bet there's not many folks fished in scotland in december, naked, apart from a hotel towel!