X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: ardnamurchan - 19th-23rd posted on 25/7/2004

Subject: ardnamurchan - 19th-23rdmark
    Super Moderator

posted on 25/7/2004 at 16:42didn't get a lot of fishing in. The nice westerlies over here, have a the reverse effect over there!

decided fishing from the rocks might be a bit iffy to say the least!

when I did get down to me fave spot, it was still a bit hairy, guess what happened next with the wave on the right....

sport was prolific tho. masses of pollack. bigger than the usual as well. normally trheres hundreds just on or under size. this time they were all well in size and averaging a pound to a pound and a half which was canny. Used a 2lb test curve carp rod for the first time with some home made 'daylights' and a dexter wedge. the daylights I'd made were intended for sandeels - size 10 hooks, thin bit of white ribbon and a few strands of crystal flash. the pollack wouldn't touch anything else, even the bigger fish seemed to like them. had a 2hour sesh till the waves/tide had loosened my bowels sufficiently to call it a day, around 40 pollack, best just under 3lb. all the fish took the little daylights and ignored everything else. did have 3 bass about a pound each which was an unexpected treat. all tremendouse sport on that gear. also used a small multiplier exclusively for spinning for the first time, which was canny casting practice. when I did finally picked up a fixed spool reel after 3 days it felt very wierd.

stayed in a superb little place for fishing from the front door. walk out of the door at high tide, cast out, go and sit by the fire with a beer and watch your rod through the window! lots of small plaice, flounders, little coleys, at low tide there are the biggest lug I have ever seen on the beach!

on the last night I went out with a torch at high tide about midnight, hadn't realised it but the little bay out side the wee hoose is lifting with sea trout waiting for high tide to run into the little river.

legged it back for a spinning rod and had a riotous hour picking em off. best I'd guess around 4 to 5lb. as payment for the sport they gave me, instead of releasing them back into the sea, I let em go over the rocks direct into the river, giving them a head start on their mates! going back for a fornight at the end of august. can't wait!
Working...
X