X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: South West Scotland 31/07 - 07/08 posted on 8/8/2004

Subject: South West Scotland 31/07 - 07/08alan.f
    Super Moderator

posted on 8/8/2004 at 07:26Tried a couple of different places this time...........
    Sunday
    Knockbrex which is due south of Gatehouse of Fleet or North West of Brighouse Bay,we fished between Ardwall Isle and Barlocco Isle.
    10 flounder to 1 1/2 lb 2 small Bass probably 1/2 lb and a tiny Turbot.
    Used fresh Crab.
    Tuesday.
    Cairnryan.fished from the shingle beach just North of the ferry terminal near some picnic tables,had six chucks and got six Dogfish,don't think i'll go back there for a while unless theres a better time to fish it,nice spot and easy to access it if you don't like to walk far.
    Wednesday.
    Had a couple of hours at the Wigtown show then had a look down the old harbour,probably give that a shot next time looks a canny spot (re Keegy ).Went down to Port William had a couple of hours on the beach got one Codling about 1lb moved to Monreith fished at Back Bay,turn off at caravan site and follow the road to the end and park up,nowt here but in the right conditions it would fish well for Bass,I spoke to a local (i think he was ) and he said to try Tonderghie which is between St Ninians Cave and Isle of Whithorn,you have to park at a farm or go to Ninians or Burrowhead and walk along to it,it was heavy going over the fields but was excellent,fished there a couple of hours or so,got six nice Pollock probably 2lb to 3lb on Redgills and Dexters wedges and loads of Mackerel (re Davy's report).
    Plagued with Midgies here so moved to Whithorn fished at the light and got a few more Pollock here probably about 2lb or so and more Mackerel.
    Friday.
    Carsluith Quarry.Got six flounder all in size to fresh Crab,had better sessions here in the past,the water appeared to be dirty.

I was expecting a better few days fishing but the tides were'nt that good as i was always fishing the tide down,i had to try and keep everyone happy not easy i tell you lol and there was very few Bass caught,I did get a couple of canny Bass but i won't say where as anyone can read this but if you are a regular i'll tell you no probs,anyway we had some excellent weather compared to most of the UK so we could'nt complain.
    If anyone wants specific locations,directions etc i'll try my best to help.
    All fish returned apart from a few Mackerel which we BBQ.
Working...
X