A wee trip to bonnie Scootland :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A wee trip to bonnie Scootland :D

Me and Mike (Thunderpants) had a trip to St Abbs and Eyemouth yesterday, what a fantastic place it is, but them rock marks aren't for the faint hearted and I feel like I've run a marathon this morning.

The plan was big pollock, big or little wrasse, maybe some coley or other species and a few mackerel for baps on the rocks for lunch. Did everything go to plan,? did it $h!te. We had set off at 6.30am with everything packed, everything but the bloody frying pan, DOH, we were half way there and chatting about mackerel baps when I remembered it was still on the bench in house. Not to worry there's a sainsbury in Alnwick, got there at 7.30, car parks a bit quiet said Mike, DOH its too early shops still shut, we'll sort something later.

We got to St Abbs for 8.30 and wow what a place, absolute beauty, and very fishy, BUT a bloke in the car next to us said he always blanked here.

After a climb around the rocks we fished to the far right rock and yep we were blanking, not very good so after around half an hour of nothing, I said why don't we try for one of those little fish (we could see them around the structure when going on) off the landing for the species hunt.

This was by far the best fishing I have ever done in my life, size 6 hooks and 11g ball weight with a slither of rag or a limpet off the rocks, it was almost a fish a drop, all little coleys for Mike and all wrasse for me. Some fish would fly into the air not properly hooked and back into water, this was great fun, got my biggest wrasse of 1lb was with a limpet. Mike had a wrasse of 1.13 that I had twice missed, spat my hook but kept Mikes haha. We could see another fish in a rock pool, few crabs in there aswell, I chucked my baited hook in and twice this fish flew through air to plop back into rock pool, third time lucky for me though and pulled out a little blenny, eat your heart out Simon Cowell, his teeth were so white lol.

It got to 11.30, yep 2 hours+ had passed chasing tiddlers down the side, that's how much fun it was, who said fishing for tiddlers wasn't fun.

So we had a look over next to the lighthouse at crocs head but people already had the best spot so we went to the harbour for some pollock or coleys.

Fishing the harbour was pretty mad for the 5 minutes, not because of fish but because a fella was asking how to fish the place who had traveled from South Shields aswell lol, and the divers and kayakers I thought this is going to be a bad place to fish. It turned out to be good for mackerel, (we had everything but the damn frying pan now).

It got a bit busy here but nothing like chavs tangling us up or nowt, just a few other lads fishing how it should be, even the seagulls got in on the spinner action. I caught a good one, it had my spinner in its foot, silly thing, sadly it kept fighting until my line snapped and it flew off stealing my spinner, gave a good fight though.

Time for another move after some curry and chips, I dunno this mark but we fished the left, the middle and Mike fished the right bay, it was the middle bay that was by far the best. After an hour of nothing I put a float on to try for some wrasse close to the rocks, I was watching my float for 5 minutes then a huge shoal of sandeel were jumping out the water in front of me. I got so excited and was screaming of Mike (he was hiding behind the rocks in the right bay that I was scared of climbing round to haha lol), that I forgot about my float and never seen it go under and into the rocks, missed that fish and it had snagged me up good style I lost everything.

It turned out there was a shoal of mackerel had cornered the sandeel in the middle bay, I was able to watch the mackerel chase my spinner before hammering it right in front of me, this was amazing never seen anything quite like it in my life. This was great fun but became a bit overwhelming because of the amount of mackerel we had already caught, we didn't want anymore, probably wouldn't of made it up hill with any more and I only left this mark with 5 lol.

We moved to fish in front of the cannons at Eyemouth, we couldn't/didn't know how to get there and ended up fishing a place called hairy ness, its a bloody hairy scramble down there and back up, I wonder if this is where it got its name from. I blanked here but Mike caught a couple of small pollock and a coley, we seen a seal and a few dolphins.

So overall had the best days fishing ever, even if no big pollock or anything were caught, we had plenty of fish, climbed enough rocks for a lifetime, and full of aches and pains this morning but was well worth it, thanks Mike, I won't forget the frying pan next time mate lol.

The good side of catching a few mackerel apart from the great fight on the light gear, was of course the pan fried mackerel for breakfast, yummy.

Nice one mate am off ther 4am start to night going for pollic and wrass as Neva hade wass be4
    Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

best report ive read in along time plenty of fish great scenery and a fish brekki welldone boys
      KOMPRESSOR SPORT
      PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
      PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
      OKUMA TRIO 55
      YUKI RUBYMAR
      RON THOMPSON TYRON
      SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

What's beast way to cach a wass
        Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

Great stuff guys.Sounds like you had a fantastic days fishing even though nothing big obliged.
          A great report with good Pictures. My Bum was twitching just looking at the place. Mountain Goats springs to mind.

Comment

Yeah it was a cracking trip Pete. I lost count of how many I caught but best estimate is 38 fish but could be 40. The Zenith 28g was deadly and caught most of my fish. I also had a few tiddlers and a wrasse on rag and caught my bigger ballan wrasse and two sea scorpions on isomes. I haven't had much luck with isomes up to now but they were working in St Abbs oh yes! And to top it all off there is a chip shop in Eyemouth that sells its own home made ice cream! That's lunch sorted

Here's some more pics....

Comment

cracking report and pictures m8 well done can't beat getting away for a few days

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty91 View Post
                What's beast way to cach a wass
                Float fished ragworm or free limpet off the rocks, it really does work. At the landing at st abbs you can see them at your feet, not huge wrasse but 1-2lb were biggest we got, great for a bit fun and a pic for species hunt.

Thanks lads it really is a great place to fish, Mike and his bloody icecreams haha.

Comment

A few more pics.

Comment

Cracking pics nice one lads.

Comment

in your first picture the divers ramp it was high water at low water the whole of the left side emteys out and there are long skeers all the way along with some cracking float and spinning marks,cracking report and pictures,and must take my hat off to the pair of you once down the cliff and back is enough for anyone but to do them marks and still take in eyemouth oh to be young again well done lads. davy.
                      PB
                      COD 21-15-0 Tynemouth pier R/M match
                      COD 20-4-0 Sharpness, Tynemouth open
                      Ballan Wrasse 5-6-0 Seahouses summer league
                      Pollock 11-5-8 ST Abbs Spinning sandeel
                      Dogfish 2-15-14 Tynemouth pier match R/M
                      Coaly 3-5-8 Tynemouth pier match r/m
                      Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

Originally posted by davidhayley1945 View Post
                        in your first picture the divers ramp it was high water at low water the whole of the left side emteys out and there are long skeers all the way along with some cracking float and spinning marks,cracking report and pictures,and must take my hat off to the pair of you once down the cliff and back is enough for anyone but to do them marks and still take in eyemouth oh to be young again well done lads. davy.
                        Is there a fishing mark in this country you dont have knowledge of?

Pretty impressive like

Comment

Great report and pics Pete. Well done to you and Mike. I'll have to get myself up there before the end of the summer, looks amazing fishing.
                          People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Originally posted by safc View Post
                            Is there a fishing mark in this country you dont have knowledge of?

Pretty impressive like
                            been fishing for a hell of along time since I was four be 68 in a few weeks time and only passing on my knowledge to help lads on this site.have fished practily all the marks in the british isles with my old buddy dava sleeping rough in the van, crabbing and fishing ,a lot of lads p/m me on my local marks and they have turned into cracking anglers and beat there p/b with the advice I have given,hope you weren't being sarcastic as you only have to ask and I would give you any advice to help you. davy.
                            PB
                            COD 21-15-0 Tynemouth pier R/M match
                            COD 20-4-0 Sharpness, Tynemouth open
                            Ballan Wrasse 5-6-0 Seahouses summer league
                            Pollock 11-5-8 ST Abbs Spinning sandeel
                            Dogfish 2-15-14 Tynemouth pier match R/M
                            Coaly 3-5-8 Tynemouth pier match r/m
                            Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderpants View Post
                              Yeah it was a cracking trip Pete. I lost count of how many I caught but best estimate is 38 fish but could be 40. The Zenith 28g was deadly and caught most of my fish. I also had a few tiddlers and a wrasse on rag and caught my bigger ballan wrasse and two sea scorpions on isomes. I haven't had much luck with isomes up to now but they were working in St Abbs oh yes! And to top it all off there is a chip shop in Eyemouth that sells its own home made ice cream! That's lunch sorted

Here's some more pics....

Class pics lads and well done on the fish caught love this spot behind the golf course lads .Had some great sport on that little Island well done again lads

Comment

Working...
                              X