Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello nesa members scotch keith here best wishes to all! i fish mostly around east lothian . have just got aboat but prefer shore , though the firth of forth has good variety to explore -some people do well. will let you know if anything happening up here. an interesting thing happened a couple of weeks ago at st abbs harbour . my girl and i took our old nissan camper to st abbs so she could sit and read and go for a walk while i fished . i just got going when elaine came along with an old fisher guy she was talking t o. i waved but kept fishing as i'd just had a hook bitten off by a wrasse bite . elaine scrounged a creel off the old boy
    they came over (the fisherman feeds the eider in the harbour)and chatted for a bit . he said his grand son was coming in with the boat he used to fish with .i recognised it as the boat in The Codling Crouch Elaine ran back and got the book out the 'van and right enough same boat with the old boy fishing before he retired. it's the green boat close in at one of the marks . we gave him the book and some doughnoughts, he was tickled pink.
    he gave us three queenies . back at the 'van we put the cavies in basins and buckets . we were parked next to the marine conservation van . snotty lady ask if we'd caught them on the(her) reserve!
    thought it was a bit rude ! wonder what the old boy would have thought of it . i let it pass but it seemed like a sign of the times, thin end of the wedge.
    a good day out fished til dark for nothing .will be hard at it for shore cod in e. lothian though still good flattie fishing to be had, hope to report over wk/end be safe! kx

Nice to hear from you Keith. I think, if my memory is correct, but the photo was taken quite a while ago, that he's also called David. Right or wrong he was a perfect gentleman whenever Rod and I came across him - a wave, an apology for interupting us, time to pull in. A bit different to some of the boats you hear about around the Tyne. Did you give him your copy of the book??? If so that's a wonderful gesture.........

Do you need another copy?? lol

Last edited by Stores; 10-11-2006, 06:31 PM.

Comment

hi Stores! i had mistakenly ordered two copies from veals but it wouldn't have mattered . it meant a lot to him, hed just lost his wife.
      we will take our new (to us) boat down to show him in the spring. the young fishermen are working hard to keep st abbs going before it becomes a holiday village and i wish them luck.

Comment

welcome to nesa mate,,,

Comment

Keith the situation in St Abbs is desperate. If you think that all the cottages that overlook the sea are now holiday homes, owned mostly by people from Edinburgh, the guy who collects the parking fees in the harbour (Donald partnered with Jean) has sold his charter boat and sold the last private cottage on the front to move into Ebba Cottage in the next street,the B&B opposite Ebba Cottage, owned by Wilma, was sold to 2 doctors from Kelso (I think) who were going to move into it but have now decided not to, therefore using it as their own second residence,the hotel on the top has been turned into £250,000 flats - the chances of St Abbs surviving as a working community are dying by the day. I would have loved to have bought Wilma's place and done B&B but that doesn't get us away from the fact that St Abbs folk can't afford to live in St Abbs - a sad state of affairs.

I think Veals have some left if you want another one lol.

Comment

Welcome to Nesa Keith, very nice story mate. Looking forward to reading some of the catch reports from up your way.

Jim.
            Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

thanks guys !

Comment

Welcome to nesa keith excellent post mate

Comment

Working...
                X