Wedding on the pier!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding on the pier!

Well Lynn deigned to let me write a report for a change and it was a cracker of a day in the long run.

On the strength of Saturday's forecast for Sunday we bought picnic supplies and our ferry tickets, as Sunday was supposed to be sunny all day with a bit of cloud but only a 9% chance of rain (I never learn!). We got up early on Sunday and it was dull but dry, so we hoped the sun would break through. However by the time we made up the picnic, had a coffee and packed the gear it was raining!!

As I am working from this Sunday onwards, we went anyway and crossed the Clyde on Western Ferries. We knew Tighnabruaich pier was open again as the Council had fixed it because the paddle steamer Waverley had her boilers replaced(after 2 years) and was starting a 3 week reduced summer schedule. However I didn't fancy the drive on 1 track roads in the rain, so being a scaredy cat, I elected for Blairmore. We arrived and it was pouring by now. People wearing suits seemed to be erecting something on the pier. It looked like an awning, so I went down to ask. I was told there was a wedding. Who has a wedding on a pier ffs??

So we had no choice, Tighnabruaich it was. I think I need to buy a 4x4, as apparently it gives you carte blanche to ignore passing places and try to run off the road mere mortals in a Honda Jazz!

Anyway we arrived safely but it was still drizzling, so we had a pit stop at the Tighnabruaich Hotel for a coffee, hoping the rain would abate - it was shut!!

Fortunately the rain went off and we headed to the pier. There was a guy and his family from Oldham fishing. He said restrictions were pretty bad in Oldham, so he thought he would "come to the highlands, as it was safe up here." I'm not sure he understood that by him coming with his family, from a city rife with the virus, made Tighnabruaich less safe! However I decided, in the interests of friendliness, to let that one slide and said nothing, but we kept our distance!

We set up our rods on the other end of the pier. It was dark and moody on Loch Fyne.

Things were quiet for the first 20 minutes or so and then the switch came on and I was into Mackerel every cast! Lynn and the Oldham crew were not catching as the fish seemed a bit out of their casting range.

Even when you steal my rod, you still can't get out far enough!

Just to prove she did catch.

However, within a few minutes they got closer to the pier and eveyone was catching, which cheered them all up. It literally was a fish a cast and was hard to keep up. There were a lot of small ones mixed in, but plenty of bigger ones too keep everyone cheerful. I have seen a seal chase the hooked mackerel into the pier but until Sunday I have never seen a cormorant chase the fish. These birds can swim fast, quite a sight. I took a breather and noticed about a dozen Gannets hitting the water and about 6 porpoises, plus gulls. It was all kicking off! Just had my phone, so not the best photo.

We took a well earned rest and had our picnic. The Oldham family had plenty and wended off on their merry way.

The negative with the pier is there are no benches, but we brought our own seats.

The (cod) Queen!

The positive is they have running water with a tap and hose, allowing us to fillet the fish onsite and keep our hands relatively clean. We ate our sannies and had a coffee and fag. Half an hour later we tried again and it was the same thing. As soon as the spinner hit the water there was a fish on. It must be 2 years at least since we have had a session like that. It made our previous summer travails fade into the annals of history.

Anyway another hour later and we had our fill. It was time to see if the Kames Hotel was open and off we popped, two extremely happy campers.

Fortunately the hotel was open, but the shocking prices had actually gone up. A pint of cider for Lynn and a can of coke for me cost £6.20 - £4.10 for the pint and a whopping £2.10 for a can of coke.

I thought it ironic that the barman had a mask on!!

Anyway we sat outside and enjoyed the views. The aforementioned Waverley put in an appearance.

We made our drinks last as we were not paying those prices a second time. Call me a tight Scottish git, but that is just taking the pish!

However we didn't let that spoil our day. It started off with rain and a wedding, but ended up dry and with hunners of fish. We just took home about a dozen bigger ones for breakfast and to make smoked Mackerel Pate.

This Saturday looks sunny all day, but we will wait until the actual morning to decide if we should go again.

Until then.......

2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

great read and pics

Comment

Did the Waverley not crash into the pier ? think i seen it somewhere
      Cheers Bert

Comment

It crashed into Brodick Pier(Arran) yesterday. This report was over a week ago. The ship is jinxed!

Comment

top notch report really good snaps as usual not wanting to rub salt into the wounds but jyst bought 4 slabs of cider from asda magners 18 cans a slab £9 wow love cider y not carry some with u or let your lass carry them
          KEEP AHAD LADS IF THINGS DONT CHANGE THEY WILL STAY THE SAME

Comment

We should have, but our cool bag was full of sandwiches and coke. To be honest Lynn paid, as I had driven and bought the ferry tickets - £20 - so she got the best deal!
            Last edited by kayos; 04-09-2020, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Another cracker of a report Mark,fairly long day???? or is that my imagination????
              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Aye long day Duncan. 830am ferry out and 6pm back. Worth it in the end though.

Comment

Working...
                X