• Show
Clear All

• Cullernose Point

Click image for larger version

Name:	culler2.jpg
Views:	1140
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1588367
    Just finished a weeks holiday in Northumberland and most of my intended fishing was hampered by wind and huge amounts of weed. I had previously spotted what looked like a good spot to fish on google maps to discover it was already a well known spot Cullernose point ​​

Fished it twice this week once on a glorious sunny day flat sea and once on a windy dull day. Beautiful place whatever the weather, scenery was amazing and worth the trip just to see. Fishing was pants with only a small dab and a tiny coalie to show for approx 9 hours fishing. Rag, squid, bluey, mackerel, mussel and sandeel all tried on an assortment of rigs including floats???? For such a fishy looking place it was a bit disappointing to say the least, I am realistic and often blank but I have never been so excited about a fishing location in a long time.

Anyway I am hoping third time lucky and intend to visit at least once next weekend. Does anyone have any tips for fishing this mark?? maybe lug or peeler is the killer bait? Any help appreciated.

Just like to point out I realise this is quite a dangerous mark, I was accompanied by a friend and kept well back from the swell. I would give this mark a miss during strong winds and especially during wet weather as the rocks get very slippy.

Cheers Jonny
    PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Hi Jonny,

Having approached this mark from the seaward side, I 've concluded it is a dead loss. Yes, you go into deep water, but it's absolutely flat out there and there's nothing to attract fish - no structure. no rough bottom. just sand. I would give it a miss if I were you unless you maybe have a crack for mackerel.

The gullies further up towards Craster offer more potential, but don't cast too far. Keep it within 50 yards of the shore as it drops onto a flat bottom further out. At low water, on the south side of Dunstanburgh castle, in the bay between Craster and Dunstanburgh there is a kind of small island that appears, and which is within range of a weighted lure such as a twintail which is worth a shot as I've had pollock and coleys from there on the boat. And if it's not too windy, try float fishing a ragworm from any of those 2 marks for wrasse.

Hope you end up with something. Good luck!
    Adrian

Comment

sorry My Alibi,got to disagree with your reply {mind its just my opinion}.
      personally i think C/P,is a good shot to fish,just a 30/40yard lob casting south or maybe abit to your left {seawards}.
      fresh or frozen crab with mussels on is the TOP bait there,as fishing all up that area.
      tends to fish better with a bit swell on{but be carefull}.had some canny sessions there,had 4/5 codlings {my mate did aswell},same session 1 summers day couple of years ago.
      MIND,ive also heard plenty others likeing the shot.
      well as said,thats just my opinion of C/P.
      PS,hope this reply helps you Jonny-s.

Comment

Originally posted by regpude View Post
        sorry My Alibi,got to disagree with your reply {mind its just my opinion}.
        personally i think C/P,is a good shot to fish,just a 30/40yard lob casting south or maybe abit to your left {seawards}.
        fresh or frozen crab with mussels on is the TOP bait there,as fishing all up that area.
        tends to fish better with a bit swell on{but be carefull}.had some canny sessions there,had 4/5 codlings {my mate did aswell},same session 1 summers day couple of years ago.
        MIND,ive also heard plenty others likeing the shot.
        well as said,thats just my opinion of C/P.
        PS,hope this reply helps you Jonny-s.
        MIND,got to admit ive blanked afew times,in what looked like perfect conditions,so it seems its a hitty/missy shot.
        ps,just a pity NESA,doesent have many viewers now,as i think youd of getting some interesting views on C/P.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback guys, No marks are sure things and I will give it a few more tries before accepting defeat. I did chat with another angler up there who reckoned crab was the bait for that area. Only once got a really positive double knock which led to nothing. All baits were coming back in shredded after only a few minutes so must be a lot of crabs about.

Will try to get some crab and decent lug for weekend, fingers crossed weather is kind.

I will certainly try some of those gullies before the summer is out Adrian, ages since I hooked a pollock

Thanks

jonny

Comment

the mark is crap in my opinion jonny, lovely place but void of fish, you will get the odd small coalie and tiny flattie but that'll be it. probably canny in the winter for cod but never fished it then.

Comment

Originally posted by g.ordon View Post
              the mark is crap in my opinion jonny, lovely place but void of fish, you will get the odd small coalie and tiny flattie but that'll be it. probably canny in the winter for cod but never fished it then.
              Must admit it is a lovely place to not catch fish Didn't want to wish the summer away but do fancy it this winter

Comment

Tried it again this weekend for third time lucky same result, plenty of small coalies and a small dab for my m8. Did hook something slightly bigger while trying to untangle a wind knot in my braid, hand balled it in and lost it by the side. There was a diver there when we arrived and we had a brief chat. Apparently a few small pollock around edges were the only fish he had seen. Did get a few mackerel this weekend to save my blushes.

Will try some of the other rock edges over the coming weeks and leave Cullernose until the winter. Heard a rumour of an 8lb Bass being caught up near Alnmouth????? If true that's quite a fish

tight lines

Jonny

Comment

Hi Jonny,

Was this you fishing Cullernose Point on Sunday afternoon?

I nosed in a bit closer but not too close so as to disturb the anglers, and took a photo of the ground in front of the Point. As you can see, it's largely featureless. The red line does indicate it is hard ground though, so cod may come in looking for squat lobster, crabs etc, but when you've got some great rough ground marks nearby, I would try those first. Couple of mackerel on the screen though!

Name:	IMG-3256.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1588440

Name:	IMG-3257.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1588441

Comment

No that wasn't me, I was fishing Saturday afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this mark though, I always wonder what the seabed looks like. Will be back during Cod season I think. Off to read your catch report now

Jonny

Comment

oddly enough and as much as i dont rate the place i foolishly went up there last friday for a sesh only to find when I walked down the track that there was about 6 tomb stoners already there, back in the car and away. ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by g.ordon View Post
                        oddly enough and as much as i dont rate the place i foolishly went up there last friday for a sesh only to find when I walked down the track that there was about 6 tomb stoners already there, back in the car and away. ha ha
                        Two out of my 3 visits have been spoilt to a degree by a large organised group jumping off part of the point for thrills. Didn't mind the first time as we were getting bored with the lack of fish. Last Saturday they turned up late afternoon in the middle of our session which reduced our chances into negative figures

Comment

Originally posted by jonny_s View Post

Two out of my 3 visits have been spoilt to a degree by a large organised group jumping off part of the point for thrills. Didn't mind the first time as we were getting bored with the lack of fish. Last Saturday they turned up late afternoon in the middle of our session which reduced our chances into negative figures
                          Yer, pain init.
                          We ended up going up the road to bamburgh, there's a mark behind the lighthouse at the end of the wynding, never fished it before but it's very accessible and looks fishy. we blanked but there was a couple of macky caught and plenty of sea trout/ salmon jumping.

Comment

Working...
                          X