Mackerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackerel

So someone had to ask eventually ' Any mackerel showing yet' ? Fished many times this year up around Amble with very little to show for it. Was thinking about giving the spinning gear a go this weekend even if I only get a few sandeel for bait it would be a bonus

sadly this forum is very quiet these days

Tight lines everyone.

Jonny
    PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Hi Jonny, I agree about the forum.

Regarding mackerel, there was a report today that some Whitby boats were taking some. However, I fear the northerlies this coming weekend will send them deep.

Keep plugging on (excuse the lousy pun), it's good to know the familiar faces are out there.

Comment

Cheers M8 If you see an idiot waving from Warkworth pier its probably me

Fished the rocks around hauxley this weekend with very little to show for it. Did see a lot of birds diving in the distance around Coquet island though, there must be something out there

Comment

I like the sound of the diving birds Jonny - encouraging at least!

I gather the BBC programme, Spring Watch will be broadcast live from Hauxley this week - so get yourself on the telly by hauling in a 10 pounder just as the camera starts to roll.....

Bellini is still up in Scotland at the repair shop, so I'll miss your crazy waving!!

Good luck with the mackerel !
        Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by My Alibi View Post
          I like the sound of the diving birds Jonny - encouraging at least!

I gather the BBC programme, Spring Watch will be broadcast live from Hauxley this week - so get yourself on the telly by hauling in a 10 pounder just as the camera starts to roll.....

Bellini is still up in Scotland at the repair shop, so I'll miss your crazy waving!!

Good luck with the mackerel !
          Adrian
          Thanks for the warning, might get my hair cut

Comment

No Mackerel around last weekend but did get a few greater sandeel which I have frozen. Might try float fishing some of these for bass this weekend. Forever the optimist

A few dolphin about and saw a few Salmon or Sea Trout jumping which kept me entertained in the cold wind.

Comment

Hi Jonny,

Maybe worth using them for pollock too. There's a couple of places a bit further up - mid-way between Craster harbour and Dunstanburgh castle is worth a cast, or from the rocks off Beadnall.

Good luck with the mackerel too
              Adrian

Comment

Cheers Adrian Fished warkworth beach sunday evening and saw loads of birds diving following what I presume was fish about half a mile out, I really think mackerel may be around this weekend. Going to try some of the gullies up near Howick Saturday, its been years since I caught a decent pollock. Fingers crossed I have something worth reporting

Comment

Just had a walk along blyth pier Thursday 6. 30 pm . Six rods on two spinning the odd sand eel nothing else. Water dirty couldn't see the bottom even in the shallows

Comment

Fished Warkworth / Amble North pier Friday and Saturday evening and no mackerel showing. Did land a couple of small coalies and a few sandeel. Tried a bit of float fishing around Cullernose point area on Saturday and managed to land 2 scorpion fish not quite the target species but it was a nice afternoon out. Might try to get out on a charter as inshore fishing seems to be dire, for me anyway.

Water clarity was good and there were loads of birds diving including gannets but out of reach of my casting

Jonny
                    Last edited by jonny_s; 19-06-2022, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Well done on getting out at least Jonny. Full marks for determination!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	schoolie(1).jpg
Views:	980
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1591447Fished again this weekend up in Northumberland in a very flat sea which was full of weed and algae. Line and terminal tackle covered in a matter of minutes and made bait presentation difficult. Fished off the end of some rocks into a mixed bottom area using ragworm. First cast was on low tide and last cast was 3 hours up and I was being pushed back onto the beach when I caught my only fish. Another undersized Bass but still nice not to blank. They are really beautiful fish when alive and its great to see them power their way back out to sea when released.

Didn't try the piers for Mackerel this week but will toss some tinsel next weekend, they must be around by now??

Jonny
                        Last edited by jonny_s; 10-07-2022, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Shed loads on seaham pier yesterday
                          Weapons of choice
                          ZZiplex Bullit Sport (brown unground model)
                          Penn Mag 525 Slidey
                          Abu 7500 c3 ct Blue

P-B Cod 14lb 12oz North pier Seaham

Comment

Originally posted by My Alibi View Post
                            Well done on getting out at least Jonny. Full marks for determination!
                            Saw your boat coming in on Sunday evening and gave you a wave from Warkworth pier ( orange t shirt shorts and baseball cap ) , possibly your son, waved back. I had to spot you sooner or later. Got to say your boat looks amazing.

Eventually picked up a few mackerel accompanied by coalies and sandeel. Mackerel were all quite big.

How did you do ?

Jonny

Comment

Hi Jonny, apologies for the silence. It would have been Oli who was out fishing with his mates. I was in Donegal that day. It was the coldest, wettest place in Western Europe that day. It rained all day and was 15 degrees max! They've had a rubbish Spring/Summer in that tiny corner of Ireland. I'd been down in Co.Mayo the previous week and saw no rain all week. That said. it only rained that one day in Donegal. I had a rod with me, and the day before I fished a spot opposite Owey Island for pollock, using a float and mackerel strip. It was great fun. There were dozens of them up to about 6lb. I ran out of bait and switched to lures but only caugh a couple, and then the incoming tide pushed me off the rocks.

Bellini is back at last. She turned up the day I left for Ireland. There is still some finishing off to be done, but the boat is useable. I'm planning to get out at the weekend, maybe both days. She's still pretty grubby as I never had a chance over winter to clean/polish, but that's on the cards for this winter.

The lads had some very large coalies that day, largest we've ever had aboard, and a couple of codling to 3lb and loads of mackerel, which is really what that session was about. Oli says that none of the other boats at Amble have been reporting epic sessions. Maybe that will change this weekend......

Cheers
                              Adrian

Name:	IMG-20220718-WA0003.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1591505

Name:	IMG-20220718-WA0001.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1591506