Whitehaven West Pier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitehaven West Pier

Well I had another trip over to Whitehaven to see my Mother last weekend and managed to get a pass from the missus to get a bit of fishing in on the Friday
    Opted for the West Pier and as you probably know the weather was horrendous, so I had the pier to myself for the whole time with a strong SSE blowing along the pier driving the rain into my back

I fished two rods with 2 hook flappers on each with blow lug on one rod and mackerel on the other rod.

From the second cast the fun started. Was difficult to see the bites with the strength of the wind and I thought I was stuck at first until I realised that whatever I was stuck on was moving so I pumped it in to get a double shot of Dogfish
    I managed another double shot of Dogfish and Whiting twice and a double shot of Dogfish and a Dab.
    For one of the double shots I had something I had never experienced before. I had a small Whiting and a Dogfish both on the same hook The Whiting was threaded up the hook trace sliding up and down on its bottom jaw and the Dogfish was on the end (you can see in the photo). The Dogfish must have tried to take the lug from the Whiting and the Whiting got pushed up the line.

Most fish were taken on lug but I got a cracking bite on the Mackerel rod at one point which I missed as the bait had slid down and masked the hook.
    The last Dogfish I got (and the biggest) was on the last cast on the Mackerel rod while I was putting the lug rod away, I was so busy packing one rod up that I almost missed the second rod bouncing away.

In total I ended up with 7 Dogfish, 4 Whiting and a Dab. Plenty of sport. I know a lot of people do not like catching Dogfish but they are good sport compared to the usual Coalies and flatties I usually catch on Roker

Whitehaven West Pier is definitely recommended if you want to have a Dogfish fest to get away from the norm over here
    Attached Files
    Gear: Old Skool !
    ABU 484 MK I (cork) (1976)
    ABU 484 MK II (Foam grips, spigot) (1977)
    ABU 484C original guides version (1978)
    ABU 484CS Fuji guides version (1980)
    ABU 9000C (1976) upgraded bearings
    ABU 9000 The red one (1974) upgraded bearings
    ABU 7000 (1976) converted to 7000C hybrid ceramic

Sounds like you had a great session mate, and well done on the double shots. ps. at least all the bites kept your mind of the rain. lol.

Comment

Looks like a canny day despite the wind and rain, suppose you don't mind getting wet as much when you are catching plenty
      CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Originally posted by Dilbertd View Post
        Whitehaven West Pier is definitely recommended if you want to have a Dogfish fest to get away from the norm over here
        Exactly what I fancy. Will be heading over there for a session sometime soon. Great report mate.
        Ron Thompson Axellerator 13’ - Penn Spinfisher 7500
        Daiwa Seahunter Z Spin 10’ - Penn Battle II 4000
        Savage Gear Bushwhacker 8’ - Shimano Ultegra 2500

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

Comment

good session mate well done, one of my favourite places to fish
          My Fishing Blog
          http://seafishingnews.wordpress.com/?ref=spelling

Comment

Working...
          X