Another new one at the 44, 11/07/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new one at the 44, 11/07/14

Got down to the pier for high tide at 3.30pm this afternoon. It was a 5 metre tide, so plenty of water near the bottom of the pier, so I started at the 19 mark just past the gates, casting onto the big beach trying for Turbot.

Had about an hour there with nothing at all, so the plan was to go down to the end and try for a Gurnard (there's been a couple reported, off the end, in the past week).

Got to the forties and could see there was loads of people at the end so stayed just past the 44 mark. I stuck with the target though - using a 2 hook flapper with size 6 hooks, with mackerel on the bottom hook and rag on the top.

Was into the small Dabs and bigger Flounders straight away, on the rag, and was getting them steadily for a few hours, then the sea flattened off and the Plaice showed.

Had a few more Plaice and more small Dabs, then I got a much bigger knock, I was hoping it was a Gurnard but thought it might just be a bigger Plaice, but it was a Gurnard on the mackerel bait.

Well chuffed with it! Had one more cast to use up the bait, then called it a day at 9.30pm. That's 9 species just off the 44 so far this year for me!

Off to Yorkshire tomorrow for a few days fly fishing, so hopefully have something to report in the freshwater forum.

Last edited by andyco; 16-07-2014, 07:21 AM.
    Ron Thompson Axellerator 13’ - Penn Spinfisher 7500
    Daiwa Seahunter Z Spin 10’ - Penn Battle II 4000
    Savage Gear Bushwhacker 8’ - Shimano Ultegra 2500

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

great stuff andy welldone
    Rodbuilding & rod repairs

Comment

Well done Andy... Your certainly kicking my butt with the number of species this year! Lovely little fish
      "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
      PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Great stuff mate well done

Comment

Cheers

It looks quite placid in the photo but it was all over the place, and was croaking away, spiky as well. I dropped it down into the harbour side and it swam off no bother.

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

Comment

Never saw one caught but the pier throws a few out every summer. Well done on catching what you were after mate

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Nice one Andy, target acquired. I'm off up there today and hoping to bag a couple more species in my two weeks off work.
              People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Tidy session Andy nice one mate.
                Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Originally posted by fishingmark View Post
                  Nice one Andy, target acquired. I'm off up there today and hoping to bag a couple more species in my two weeks off work.
                  Will give you a shout over the next few days mate... Got a few days off wok myself :-)

PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

well done andy nice fish m8 hope you have good day on the fly m8

Comment

good stuff mate

Comment

Originally posted by fishingmark View Post
                        Good luck mark, it's gonna be flat for a few days now so should be plenty of mini species about (get them tiny hooks on and try for a goldsinny!)

I'm back on Tuesday and off the rest of the week so will be down there, gonna try and have a day at either Whitehaven or Holderness as well.

Comment

Andy a big welldone mate your flying with these species mate
                          KOMPRESSOR SPORT
                          PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
                          PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
                          OKUMA TRIO 55
                          YUKI RUBYMAR
                          RON THOMPSON TYRON
                          SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

Originally posted by andyco View Post
                            Good luck mark, it's gonna be flat for a few days now so should be plenty of mini species about (get them tiny hooks on and try for a goldsinny!)

I'm back on Tuesday and off the rest of the week so will be down there, gonna try and have a day at either Whitehaven or Holderness as well.
                            Just flatties today at the 45 mate. Steady all day, plaice, flounders and dabs but no new species.
                            People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Working...
                            X