Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hounds

Late report

Had a cracking sesh on the hounds Saturday gone with some cracking mates I ended up with 17
    Me mate ste had 11 mark had 9 Craig had the 1

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1532846
    T1000
    Excalibur tt
    Excalibure c
    Tippy sm

Technium MGS 10000
    Ultegra 10000

Smoothound

Where were you fishing mate and what bait where you using.

Comment

Sounds like a canny session mate! You get 17 and your pal gets only 1... He must have been gutted haha.... Well done again, seething I'm gonna target next year I think
      "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
      PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Was Craig using hooks?

After Mackerel, Smoothhound are probably the easiest fish to catch in the sea - if you've got a bait in the water and they are there you will catch them. Always plenty of decent size ones as well - they certainly reperesent the best chance for anyone to catch a double figure fish off the British shore if you are willing to travel a bit to find them.

Have to say though Steven you look bloody miserable for someone who's just hauled out 17 Hounds
        CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart 1971 View Post

Have to say though Steven you look bloody miserable for someone who's just hauled out 17 Hounds
          LMFAO, I must say I was thinking that was Craig with his 1 hahaha.

Sounds a cracking session lads.

Comment

Hi Stewart while I must agree with you on size etc. my first experience with smooth hounds from the shore seemed to make me feel they were a bit selective bait wise about 10 of my mates where on the beach I waited till dark and left the caravan arived on the beach with some freshly dug lug and a couple of peelers asked all my mates anything doing nothing they replied all using lug and mackerel I thought I try the peeler 2 ,10lb hounds on 2 casts then nothing on the worm so I have always felt more confident with crab and would advise anyone targeting them to use it hermit crab is also good I have picked them up in the boat on mackerel obviously if there was a big pack and a lot of compertion it might be different just what I have found if it works for you stick with it
            Congratulations on your session it great when a plan works
            Last edited by Joe-m; 08-08-2014, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-m View Post
              Hi Stewart while I must agree with you on size etc. my first experience with smooth hounds from the shore seemed to make me feel they were a bit selective bait wise about 10 of my mates where on the beach I waited till dark and left the caravan arived on the beach with some freshly dug lug and a couple of peelers asked all my mates anything doing nothing they replied all using lug and mackerel I thought I try the peeler 2 ,10lb hounds on 2 casts then nothing on the worm so I have always felt more confident with crab and would advise anyone targeting them to use it hermit crab is also good I have picked them up in the boat on mackerel obviously if there was a big pack and a lot of compertion it might be different just what I have found if it works for you stick with it
              Congratulations on your session it great when a plan works
              Fair points Joe. Personally I've had more Hounds on ragworm than any other bait (by a long long way), then crab, then squid and I've had them on Mackerel and Bluey. We very rarely used lug when I lived in Hampshire and never in the summer; it didn't even cross my mind that people would fish with it at this time of year.

It is quite a sight when they hit the beach in numbers, I've fished Selsey more than once when you just see every rod along the beach go one after the other like a line of toppling dominoes
              CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Sounds great Stewart it's like I said compertion makes a big difference when it comes to bait had a couple of sessions with bass like that obviously hundreds of fish in a feeding frenzy doesn't happen to often but when it does it's great

Comment

That's some brilliant fishing mate.
                  Last edited by topbanana; 08-08-2014, 05:29 PM. Reason: mistype
                  Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart 1971 View Post
                    Was Craig using hooks?

After Mackerel, Smoothhound are probably the easiest fish to catch in the sea - if you've got a bait in the water and they are there you will catch them. Always plenty of decent size ones as well - they certainly reperesent the best chance for anyone to catch a double figure fish off the British shore if you are willing to travel a bit to find them.

He has the look of a knackered man to me haha
                    "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
                    PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

i would not have a clue how to fish for smooth hounds although i would like to give it a bash, what rigs do you use,what bait , what size hooks, what sort of ground is best rough or sandy,deep water or shallow, best time of the year and the best time of the day or night,and can you get them in the hartlepool area, as you can see i am a complete novice when it comes to fishing for smooth hounds but i am willing to learn [do you need a steel trace ] so any advice would be most wecome.
                      ps a great report.

Comment

Google it and it tells you all you need to know what you've just asked there
                        Century Eliminator T900
                        Century Eliminator T800
                        Century Tip Tornado Sport
                        Shimano Technium MGS XS-B x 2
                        Penn Spin Fisher 7500LC x 2

Comment

Yep miserable face lol tired man that day - my first proper sesh on the hounds was a long old day - as for Craig he got the hound well before I caught any and still couldn't find another 1 - fresh crab smashed them that day , lost a good few as well used a pulley rig down Skegness with Steve smith, mark,Craig.
                          Had a few hours on Sunday morning with Gary pye hounds were still there got a few more then hit the road a tired man
                          T1000
                          Excalibur tt
                          Excalibure c
                          Tippy sm

Technium MGS 10000
                          Ultegra 10000

Comment

hi steve did you and littel steve go were i told you on the west side have not seen you lot on s.s pier for few weeks

Comment

Bucky we went to the place you told us on the pier and blanked like, we were in the wrong place though as we have now found out lol. At least we know for next time
                              Century Eliminator T900
                              Century Eliminator T800
                              Century Tip Tornado Sport
                              Shimano Technium MGS XS-B x 2
                              Penn Spin Fisher 7500LC x 2

Comment

Working...
                              X