Hampshire Trip - Browndown / Haylin Island 09/08/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hampshire Trip - Browndown / Haylin Island 09/08/2014

So the long planned trip to the south coast finally arrived, the idea being that the FPO could visit her folks in Portsmouth and I could get in a few days shingle beach fishing and a trip to Chesil as reward for doing all the driving. Unfortunately Hurricaine Bertha put paid to my plans (espcially the Chesil trip, not a place to fish in a big, unpredictable sea) but at least before the weather hit I had the chance of getting one night in on the beach.

After picking up 1.25 lb of rag (£15 fresh dug) and a few crab from the local tackle shop (Lock Stock and Tackle for anyone heading down that way) I headed west to the Gosport beaches to make an early start to my session. Browndown beach was my initial venue of choice, if only because past experience has shown it cen fish fairly well on the ebb. I arrived to make my 20 minute yomp along the shingle to find a stiffish SW wind still blowing and not ideal conditions but it beat sitting in the house so off we went:

Browndown is a very steep sloping shingle beach with medium tide run and at times lots of floating weed. I've had loads of differnt species from here in the past but with the choppy, coloured water and stiff SW wind it turned out to be a waste of time and after three biteless hours I decided to cut my losses and head west east to Hayling Island.

Hayling is a fairly shallow beach at the far east of the Solent and can throw up a few species depending on conditions. I arrived at my mark just east of Eastoke Corner at about half way through the flood tide and soon got set up with two rods, one at range and one fished closer in.

It wasn't long before I was in to fish with baby Black Bream plagueing the closer in rod (nothing more than palm size but the don't half give a good bite):

As the sun went down and the water got deeper the Smoothhound came on, again nothing decent but fish to about 2lb to both ragworm and crab baits:

Both rods saw pretty much non-stop action with baby Bream and Smut pups as the tide continued to build. Nothing to write home about but lots of fun up until high tide when the wind picked up and the weed started to become a pain. I did manage one more fish, a little school Bass that gave me my third species for the night before packing up and heading for home after almost 10 hours on the shingle:

Final tally for the day was no fish ot Browndown (surprisingly) then 8 Black Bream, 6 Starry Smoothhound pups and a single Bass at Hayling. Despite the wind and the driving it was a lovely evening to be out, most fish fell to ragworm with a couple of hounds taking the crab, all on two hook clipdown rigs and size 1 hooks
    CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Well done mate nice few species there

Comment

Great stuff mate, finally got your smut! I think that is the first black bream in the species hunt so well done on that. Personally I don't think you got enough photos of your rods and stand.
      People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Nice report Stewart the move paid off.
        Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

hampshire trip

Nice session stew. After all those years living in pompy you know all the marks . Shame about Bertha. You'll soon get another trip there as I, am shure you lass gets home sick. In the meantime get down the southy, sorry no bream or smuts getting caught there yet.
          Big kev, fishing leg end
          weapons of choice
          99p fishing net from pet shop at bottom of church street

Comment

Well done nice report and pics.

Comment

Some nice fish there fella. Love that little bream! There have been lots of firsts in the species hunt this year!
              "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
              PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

well done nice bream
                Last edited by Joe-m; 15-08-2014, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juliogeordio View Post
                  Some nice fish there fella. Love that little bream! There have been lots of firsts in the species hunt this year!
                  Originally posted by Joe-m View Post
                  well done nice bream
                  Cheers lads. The bigger Bream (my pb is 2lb 10oz) come in to breed from May to late June before disappearing back offshore. The little ones stick around all summer, never any bigger than half a pound (and often smaller) but for a tiny fish the don't half rattle the rod tips.

Sometimes if you are very lucky you will find a baby Gilthead in among the Blacks but you need warm, settled weather for that
                  CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

sounds good just nice to catch a few different species if things continue as they are I can see a few different species in the NE seen a few good mullet the other day

Comment

Great report Stewart. Hayling looks a nice place to fish. I would love to be plagued by small black bream Never caught one or even seen one caught before.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderpants View Post
                        Great report Stewart. Hayling looks a nice place to fish. I would love to be plagued by small black bream Never caught one or even seen one caught before.
                        Think I've mentioned this before Mike but if you do the usual for your jollies next year take a day to head further east to Weymouth and fish Ferrybridge end of Chesil. Late spring / early summer it throws out some good bags of Black Bream to a much better standard than the tiddlers I was catching last week; later in the summer there is also a chance of more exotic species showing up including Red Mullett and even Trigger Fish.

Straight over the bank from the car park is a canny shot (apart from the crowds) but they show pretty much anywhere from Chesil Cove along to the Bridging Camp (though the yomp that far along the shingle is a killer).
                        CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Great stuff! i also have never seen a bream, before. I have a cottage in north Norfolk but never fished there yet. Love the idea of catching different things to what we get up in the North East though. Well done mister

Comment

Nice report there. I'm off down to Chesil in November. Looking forward to it (fishing a two day comp)

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart 1971 View Post
                              Think I've mentioned this before Mike but if you do the usual for your jollies next year take a day to head further east to Weymouth and fish Ferrybridge end of Chesil. Late spring / early summer it throws out some good bags of Black Bream to a much better standard than the tiddlers I was catching last week; later in the summer there is also a chance of more exotic species showing up including Red Mullett and even Trigger Fish.

Straight over the bank from the car park is a canny shot (apart from the crowds) but they show pretty much anywhere from Chesil Cove along to the Bridging Camp (though the yomp that far along the shingle is a killer).
                              Thanks Stewart I will try that if I'm there next summer I have always fancied fishing Ferrybridge end just never got around to it. I will be down there in December but the bream will have all gone by then I expect

Comment

Working...
                              X