Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tighnabruaich fishing, loads of species, part 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tighnabruaich fishing, loads of species, part 2.

With Sunday and Monday being decent weather wise, we awoke on Tuesday morning to pouring rain. It looked set for the day, so we mooched around the cottage most of the morning.

I decided to drive to Otter Ferry in the hope that it may dry up..................it didn't!

Anyway we had a lovely late lunch at the Kilfinan Hotel. Oysters for Lynn and scallops for me, not cheap I hasten to add!

A complete washout of a day, so we retired early and hoped for better weather on Wednesday. Wednesday did indeed produce a lovely warm, sunny day and I suggested we try float fishing at a secret beach I knew as a boy. Lynn however wasn't convinced and wanted another day at the pier, so the pier it was! Stopped off on the way to take a few photos.

Another weird scarecrow.

Asked what they were all about, only to be told, "Just a bit of fun!"

We arrived at the pier and there were 3 young boys fishing. They were around 14 years old and great lads. Apologised when they cast across us, respected the fish they caught and stopped fishing when they had caught enough. Compared to Sunday, it was great to see.

Lynn posing!

Fishing was again very good and this time the Mackerel were of a decent size and had some great sport on my new rod. After a couple of hours the pier got very busy, not with anglers, but passengers waiting for the Waverley.

Fished again after she left for a while and then retired again to the pub, a different one this time.

Thursday I finally got my way and off we went Pollock hunting. I was delighted to see that the beach was deserted. It is hidden from the road and a good mile walk, so not many seem to know about it. Dug a few lugworm and off we went to the far point. Not sure I fully got the hang of this float fishing lark, but I did get few small Saithe and Pollock, around a pound, plus a micro Whiting, so was happy with that.

Lynn didn't fish, but did go micro flounder hunting!

An onlooker.

I almost forgot to say that we took our new smoker, very kindly made for us by Davey. It worked a treat!

Smoked, fresh Mackerel, absolutely gorgeous and we are delighted with the smoker, thanks again Davey.

A great few days away, nine species of fish and we can't wait to get back there soon.
    Last edited by kayos; 17-08-2014, 08:41 AM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Nice report and well done on the species,some nice photos too!
    Can't Catch Yesterdays Fish

Comment

great report and the pics of the lochs nd mountains just spectacular

Comment

another pleasant read,bonny man mark,thanks for sharing with us.{JEALOUS}.

Comment

Thanks Reg, what I didn't say was we tried the smoker with just wood chips, but they wouldn't light. Then found out we had to create fire first and then when the coals are white hot, add wood chips! You live and learn!

Comment

forgot to mention,had to look twice at one of your photos,thought it was a bloody BEAR,at the waters edge,but was couple of rocks,LOL.

Comment

Haha, me too Reg. I didn't notice when I took the photo, it really does look like a bear!

Comment

Good report.

It does look like a bear, it wasn't until I zoomed in I relished it was rocks.

Bigfoot.

Comment

another great re[ort mark,never realised you could drive
                  AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Originally posted by lingking View Post
                    another great re[ort mark,never realised you could drive
                    Haha, that's because she never lets me drive Duncan! I had a company car for 20 odd years. Bought one when I left the company and when it died, never replaced it. I have been musing over getting another one recently!
                    Last edited by kayos; 18-08-2014, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Great report and nothing better than a nice fresh makki supper mate
                      KOMPRESSOR SPORT
                      PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
                      PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
                      OKUMA TRIO 55
                      YUKI RUBYMAR
                      RON THOMPSON TYRON
                      SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

The smoker was terrific Mick. Have you not had a Sunday pier comp for a while?

Comment

Getting married this Sunday 24th mate and been to Blackpool the last 2 weekends so not fished for a month so hopefully after wedding mark
                          KOMPRESSOR SPORT
                          PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
                          PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
                          OKUMA TRIO 55
                          YUKI RUBYMAR
                          RON THOMPSON TYRON

Comment

Originally posted by toonboymc View Post
                            Getting married this Sunday 24th mate and been to Blackpool the last 2 weekends so not fished for a month so hopefully after wedding mark
                            Ah, congratulations Mick!

Comment

Cheers mark
                              KOMPRESSOR SPORT
                              PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
                              PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
                              OKUMA TRIO 55
                              YUKI RUBYMAR
                              RON THOMPSON TYRON

Comment

Working...
                              X