Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late report, SSP last Tuesday night

A bit late but here goes.

With some of the biggest tides of the year last week, me and Alex decided to fish off the end of the pier on Tuesday night.

Got there about 5:30pm it was very windy and overcast, the gate was already locked and the pier looked deserted but it didn't put us off and in fact we were quite hopeful, our moto of the session was 'big tide, big baits, big fish!'

We got down to the end and there was a couple spinning, but they left pretty soon after we got set up, and we had the pier to ourselves.

We were both using two rods, one each straight out from the brass ball, and Alex off to the right, and me off to the left.

First casts got me a just sized codling, and Alex a lovely Tub Gurnard.

I was pleased for him but wished it was mine for the species hunt!

The gurnard took a Ragworm bait. I was using mackerel on the rod off the end and pretty soon was catching whiting.

On my other rod I had a big mackerel/lug bait, whacked over towards the end of tynemouth pier. At one point, on that rod I had BIG take and reeled into a heavy fish.

If I'd got it in, I'm sure it would of been my PB, my biggest fish so far was a Thorny at Silloth and this felt a lot heavier than that and was fighting hard.

I tried to haul it in, but it was diving deeper every time I pulled it a bit closer, and eventually it got snagged up. Tried for a while to pull it through the snag, and tried giving it slack, but couldn't get it and eventually the line snapped out.

After a couple of hours of the ebb and a few more whities, we moved down to the 45. We both put runnidown on and were into sized codling straight away. We were getting codling almost every chuck, and Alex also got a flounder and I got a dab.

We packed up about 10:30pm. A good session, with 5 species and over 20 fish between us, but unfortunately didn't manage to land any monsters!

Ron Thompson Axellerator 13’ - Penn Spinfisher 7500
    Daiwa Seahunter Z Spin 10’ - Penn Battle II 4000
    Savage Gear Bushwhacker 8’ - Shimano Ultegra 2500

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

Well done buddy... Shame on the biggun
    "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
    PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

good report mate and a few sized fish, well done lads. and unlucky about the bigun.

Comment

Originally posted by barnacle bill View Post
        good report mate and a few sized fish, well done lads. and unlucky about the bigun.
        Cheers mate, I was talking to Marc (Juliogeordio) about my lost one! and he reminded me that there can be some good Pollock off the end of Tynemouth this time of year, so I'm guessing that's maybe what I had on, just a guess though, could of been anything!

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

Comment

Stunning fish that Gurnard, looks even better than it did on fb with the bigger photo. Plenty fish to be had from the pier at the minute.
          People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingmark View Post
            Stunning fish that Gurnard, looks even better than it did on fb with the bigger photo. Plenty fish to be had from the pier at the minute.
            Aye it was, and there has been a load of species around the pier lately - I've got the week off work now, I was planning on doing loads of fishing, with a few trips up and down the coast, I thought I'd be able to get a good few sessions of summer species hunting in, but the forecast for the rest of the week is big seas, stupid winds and dodgy weather! Typical!

Comment

Beautiful looking Gurnard that, shame about the one that got away
              CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Cracking session Andy and that's a bonny gurnard well done lads.
                Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Cracking session boys lovely gurnard and shame u lost a biggun mate
                  KOMPRESSOR SPORT
                  PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
                  PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
                  OKUMA TRIO 55
                  YUKI RUBYMAR
                  RON THOMPSON TYRON
                  SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

Great session Andy. That's a gorgeous tub there. Shame you couldn't get the big one, big dives like that definately mean pollack. Hard lines mate.

Comment

Working...
                    X