Whitehaven, Tuesday 19/08/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitehaven, Tuesday 19/08/14

Had a trip over to Whitehaven, on the west coast, on Tuesday afternoon. High tide was around 7:30pm so I got over there and got started about 4:30pm to fish 3 up and 3 down.

I was fishing the north pier, which is the shorter of the two. It's easily accessible with a small car park just at the start of the pier (£4.80 for 4+ hours though), and there's a 24hr Tescos just around the corner as well. (Driving time from South Shields, over the A69 and down the A595 was about 2 and a half hours).

When I got there it was really sunny and hot with just a slight breeze and a little bit of swell rolling in. The whole harbour area is really nice and looks like it would be ideal for LRF and float fishing; I just had a couple of beachcasters with me though (I might have an LRF trip over there, maybe next summer now though).

I wasn't sure where to fish on the pier, but had been told that Dogfish can be caught really close in; so I headed to the end and dropped one rod down the side with a two hook flapper baited up with mackerel (I was hoping for a Dogfish, as I've never caught one before, and needed one for the species hunt).

On my other rod I had the same two hook flapper but baited up with ragworm, and cast at various directions further out. On that rod I was hoping for Plaice or Gurnards.

For 2 hours I had nothing, then I got a knock on the rod that was cast out, and I reeled in a Flounder. I was starting to worry about the prospect of going all that way, and only catching a Flounder! and a westerly wind had really picked up as well; but I kept at it and kept re-baiting the hooks (the baits were getting washed off quite quickly).

By high tide the wind was really blustery and it was getting cold (I had to ask a local lad to keep an eye on my gear while I ran back to the car for my jacket). I was getting quite down about the whole affair when there was a really good pull and rattle on the close-in rod, I reeled in and a Doggie came wriggling up to the surface, I got that buzz you get when you realise you've hit a target fish, and something new, but as I lifted it out the water it wriggled itself off the hook and disappeared back into the depths.

My interest was renewed though, so I put fresh hooks on the rig and got it back out. I had another small knock on the other rod and brought in a shore rockling (ten-a-penny on shields big beach!). I was posting on The Fishermans Locker while I was there, and a couple of lads on there had seen my pic I'd uploaded and recommended I move further down the pier, so I stuck it out at the end for a while, watched the sunset, which was quite impressive, then moved down to the bend in the pier.

Same tactics with casting distances but this time all 4 hooks were baited with mackerel. After only a couple of minutes, the close-in rod went, same as before, I knew it was a Dogfish, so I let the bite develop a bit, then struck it. This one was hooked properly, and I got my first Dogfish!

After a right fanny-on unhooking it! I got some pics, chucked it back and started packing up! It was 10:30pm by then and time for the drive home!

When I reeled in the other rod there was a tiny Dab on it; so the tally for the day was 4 fish, with one new species. . and a nice afternoon in a stunning location.

(I got a lot more pics, better ones, on my camera, but can't get them downloaded at the minute. These were all on my phone).

Last edited by andyco; 20-08-2014, 10:42 PM.
    Ron Thompson Axellerator 13’ - Penn Spinfisher 7500
    Daiwa Seahunter Z Spin 10’ - Penn Battle II 4000
    Savage Gear Bushwhacker 8’ - Shimano Ultegra 2500

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

At least you got what you went for, just a shame a few more didn't turn up.

If it makes you feel any better I once made the two hour drive from Portsmouth to Chesil and spent 8 hours on the shingle trying for Trigger Fish and only managed a solitary Pouting (which I could have bagged up on 200 yards from my front door)...
    CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Good report mate

Comment

Great report Andy. It's handy now with the technology available to get tips from back home while you are out fishing, it paid off for you. I've never fished that pier but I had a wander along it one time while working at the Tesco there. While I had a spare couple of minutes you understand.
        People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Cheers lads

Originally posted by fishingmark View Post
          Great report Andy. It's handy now with the technology available to get tips from back home while you are out fishing, it paid off for you. I've never fished that pier but I had a wander along it one time while working at the Tesco there. While I had a spare couple of minutes you understand.
          Haha, cheers mark. It is amazing, I wasn't a lover of mobile phones and purposely went without one for years, but I got a hand-me-down iPhone off my kid last year and I'm on it all the time, it's come in handy a few times with fishing (I've had plenty 'live tips' from you as well!)

FLOUNDER, SEA SCORPION, COLEY, MACKEREL, LAUNCE, WEEVER, SHORE ROCKLING, POLLOCK, BLENNY, DAB, WHITING, COD, 5B ROCKLING, PLAICE, DRAGONET, EELPOUT, COMMON EEL, THORNBACK RAY, BALLAN WRASSE, CORKWING WRASSE, TOPE, GREY GURNARD, DOGFISH, TADPOLE FISH, TURBOT, SMOOTHOUND, BASS

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart 1971 View Post
            At least you got what you went for, just a shame a few more didn't turn up.

If it makes you feel any better I once made the two hour drive from Portsmouth to Chesil and spent 8 hours on the shingle trying for Trigger Fish and only managed a solitary Pouting (which I could have bagged up on 200 yards from my front door)...
            Aye, there's good days and bad days!

Might of got more dogfish if I'd fished for longer in the dark, but one was enough by then!

Comment

Did you fall over for the first pic? lol.
              People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingmark View Post
                Did you fall over for the first pic? lol.
                Is it sideways?? It's the right way up on my screen.

(To be honest though, it's funny you said that, because I did nearly go my length, walking along there, the flagstones are really uneven, went flying but managed to stay on my feet!).

Comment

Good stuff mate... Glad you got the doggy
                  "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
                  PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Well done mate, but in my view one doggy is enough, its easy to get sick of catching them, I do it every year on my annual Brighouse Bay trip.

Comment

Lovely photo's mate.. well done on the doggie.. Esp as its a first

Comment

nice one mate. easiest way to unhook a dogfish is to grab the head and the tail in the same hand to stop it writhing then use the other hand to unhook.

they're still a pain in the backside at the best of times though - and the novelty sharp wears off quickly when you're targeting huss/rays/conger and getting plagued by doggies!

well done mate.
                        Liam

Comment

Well done on the Dogfish, I said they were good fun over there in my Whitehaven reports. I have found the end of the west pier is better though. I find it is nice to fish somewhere nice and quiet like Whitehaven too, not fighting for a place !
                          Gear: Old Skool !
                          ABU 484 MK I (cork) (1976)
                          ABU 484 MK II (Foam grips, spigot) (1977)
                          ABU 484C original guides version (1978)
                          ABU 484CS Fuji guides version (1980)
                          ABU 9000C (1976) upgraded bearings
                          ABU 9000 The red one (1974) upgraded bearings
                          ABU 7000 (1976) converted to 7000C hybrid ceramic

Comment

Originally posted by Dilbertd View Post
                            Well done on the Dogfish, I said they were good fun over there in my Whitehaven reports. I have found the end of the west pier is better though. I find it is nice to fish somewhere nice and quiet like Whitehaven too, not fighting for a place !
                            You did mate, it was one of your reports a while back that first gave me the idea to have a trip over to whitehaven at some time, cheers! I will be going back over there and will have to try the other pier, I've heard a few times that there's a chance of conger off that one.

Comment

Working...
                            X