Shields 22/08/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shields 22/08/2014

Last day of my summer leave today and with the sun making a reappearance I decided on a few hours on Shields. HT was 2:20pm and after swinging by Moonfleet on the way to pick up some worm I was on the pier just after half eleven. Made the trek along past the Salmon nets at the rail end (so much for that idea) to find half a dozen rods already on the 40s so got settled in at the near end on the 43 mark by the metal ladder.

Got a two hook clipdown rig baited up and soon had worm in the water which 20 minutes later came back almost exactly as it had been sent out. Not the most promising of starts but soon things improved and second cast in a nice rattle resulted in a 27cm Coalie on the pier to beat the blank:

With the fish starting to show I got the second rod set up, this one optimistically sent out with a 4/0 pennel loaded with runnydown tipped of with mussel. Another good rattle on this rod saw a greedy 30cm coalie taking the whole lot down its gob

Then it was the other rods turn to get back in the action, a series of delicate bites showed something was interested and on pulling in after the 20 minute soak I had a double shot of Dabs the best one going a tad over 30cm:

A couple more Dabs and another coalie and then as HT arrived everything went dead. Stuck it out until half three but no more bites came and as I was out of bait I made the trek back along the pier to the car. All in all a canny afternoon out; didn't see much else caught just a few Dabs to those lads capable of chucking a fair way and nothing for the lads dropping closer in. Baits used were rag, runnydown and mussel with all baits taking fish including a Dab on the straight mussel which was a bit of a surprise.
    CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

canny sesh mate. often happens when ht comes the fish go

Comment

Well done Stewart, canny little session for ya. Was down the other day and had a very similar bag of fish.... Not quite as pretty as your bream though!
      "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
      PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Canny session Stewart. I had a few fours up there this evening.
        People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Nice session, better than being in the office !
          My turn tomorrow, not sure where yet.
          Gear: Old Skool !
          ABU 484 MK I (cork) (1976)
          ABU 484 MK II (Foam grips, spigot) (1977)
          ABU 484C original guides version (1978)
          ABU 484CS Fuji guides version (1980)
          ABU 9000C (1976) upgraded bearings
          ABU 9000 The red one (1974) upgraded bearings
          ABU 7000 (1976) converted to 7000C hybrid ceramic

Comment

Originally posted by fishingmark View Post
            Canny session Stewart. I had a few fours up there this evening.
            did work send you with your ladders to change the pier light bulb lol
            Rodbuilding & rod repairs

Comment

Originally posted by fish fingers View Post
              Lol.
              "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
              PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

fished the same spot on Tuesday 3 flatties two codling
                consett warlord retired

Comment

No chance of that Stan, imagine the risk assessments, method statements, etc for a job like that!
                  I'd do it though, double bubble, no bother.
                  People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

PMSL

Stan you don't realise some of the dangerous tasks us sparkies undertake, bet it's a canny size bulb anall

Comment

Working...
                    X