Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last session of the season, you will be pleased to hear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last session of the season, you will be pleased to hear!

OMG not another Blairmore/Strone report I hear you cry? Yup I'm afraid so lads!!

Caught the 1020am ferry for a 1145am high tide. Took a few photos from the boat.

Waiting for the bus to Blairmore we reflected on the demise of the Victorian Dunoon Pier.

A long story short, we got to Blairmore Pier and not only were there seven people already fishing, there was also two seals! We didn't even bother unpacking the rods, but turned round and went back to the bus stop and off to Strone we went.

The forecast was for sun all day, but strangely they got it wrong! After 20 minutes and no fish, the wind got up and it started raining!? So we hit the pub at the end of the pier for a pint. Half an hour later, the sun was out again and the wind had disappeared, so back to the Mackerel hunt.

A cruise liner passed up the Clyde.

Not sure why it was sailing downhill!??

Anyway the fishing picked up and we had a decent few Mackerel for the smoker. Thought I better post a photo this time!

So that's it for the season. With Kayos Theatre back next weekend I am afraid we will probably not get out again this year. Not many shore sessions this year, but after the end of June blanks, our bonus week in Tighnabruaich and today helped soften the blow!

All the best of luck to you winter fisherman, you are braver then we are!

A wee scenic one to end with.

Last edited by kayos; 24-08-2014, 06:15 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Originally posted by kayos View Post
    OMG not another Blairmore/Strone report I hear you cry? Yup I'm afraid so lads!!

Caught the 1020am ferry for a 1145am high tide. Took a few photos from the boat.

Waiting for the bus to Blairmore we reflected on the demise of the Victorian Dunoon Pier.

A long story short, we got to Blairmore Pier and not only were there seven people already fishing, there were also two seals! We didn't even bother unpacking the rods, but turned round and went back t the bus stop and off to Strone we went.

The forecast was for sun all day, but strangely they got it wrong! After 20 minutes and no fish, the wind got up and it started raining!? So we hit the pub at the end of the per for a pint. Half an hour later, the sun was out again and the wind had disappeared, so back to the Mackerel hunt.

A cruise liner passed up the Clyde.

Not sure why it was going downhill!??

Anyway the fishing picked up and we had a decent few Mackerel for the smoker. Thought I better post a photo this time!

So that's it for the season. With Kayos Theatre back next weekend I am afraid we will probably not get out again this year. Not many shore sessions this year, but after the end of June blanks, our bonus week in Tighnabruaich and today helped soften the blow!

All the best of luck to you winter fisherman, you are braver then we are!

A wee scenic one to end with.

Good luck youngin hanging your gear up fo the winter

Comment

well done on yer bashin sesh mate, can I make a suggestion? ok I will, you and your lass book up a van in November and give shields pier a shot for the coddies, great set of nesa lads get on there so yer won't have any probs on pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by g.ordon View Post
        well done on yer bashin sesh mate, can I make a suggestion? ok I will, you and your lass book up a van in November and give shields pier a shot for the coddies, great set of nesa lads get on there so yer won't have any probs on pointers.
        We would love to Gordon, but we are bound by school holidays (Scottish) as Lynn is a teacher now. We are considering school October week mind you. Watch this space!

Comment

love reading your reports mark,aswell as viewing your photos.they will be a miss.ps,never did get grandbairn macky bashing.dont know how quick the 6weeks went,spent most off our time at tourer.WELL,ill be the first to with yous a MERRY CHRISTMAS,what.

Comment

October

Originally posted by kayos View Post
            We would love to Gordon, but we are bound by school holidays (Scottish) as Lynn is a teacher now. We are considering school October week mind you. Watch this space!
            Always plenty shore codling to be had local in October,my favourite time,the first early dark nights, nice and warm still, standing in just light clothing hoodies and chesties and not having to wrap up like michelin man to keep warm.

Comment

Interesting report.
              It opposite on the Tyne though, ships appear to be going uphill when you come out of the pub here. Must have something to do with side of the country you are on.

All the best

Comment

Used to go to Dunoon to fish in my early teens my m8 had an aunty living at Sandbank......hell of a journey from Whitley Bay for 2 thirteen year olds......fishing in the Holy Loch couldn't fail a fish every chuck plenty of fish about in the 60s

Comment

Originally posted by nunthorpe mag View Post
                  Used to go to Dunoon to fish in my early teens my m8 had an aunty living at Sandbank......hell of a journey from Whitley Bay for 2 thirteen year olds......fishing in the Holy Loch couldn't fail a fish every chuck plenty of fish about in the 60s
                  Indeed there was mate. Sadly not now!

Comment

Working...
                  X