Barge Bottom,Long Sands, 23.08.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barge Bottom,Long Sands, 23.08.14

Went for a wee stroll along Long Sands this morning with nthe family and thought - this looks a bit fishy... decent surf, bit of colour in the water, bit of tide. So I got some fresh lug and defrosted some ancient mackerel and mussel. Went down at 9pm and was surprised by how low the tide already was. Too early in the season, I thought - just enjoy the peace and quiet.... For the first 2 and a half hrs only caught a suicidal coalie - 10inches and a decent flounder 28cm. Fished two rods at varying distances but never further out than 50yards, maybe 60.... Started to run out of bait - mussel, lug, mackerel on two hook flappers.... Then the tide turned and it went mental!.. 5 fish in three casts on the same rod - a double shot of 1.8lb codling from 30yards out in the hole... quickly re-baited... a single codling 2lb 2oz... re-baited with the last bits and pieces of bait... double shot of 10/12oz flounders.... No bait left. Headed home a happy boy, though, with a couple of bonus early season fish. Particularly pleased since I probably won't be able to fish much this winter.
    PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Beats siting in the house mate, well done. Not really fished longsands much, mainly Whitley. Will be giving it a shot this winter. That mark at the north end?
    "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
    PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Barge bottom

More around centre of beach opposite Botac house /old plaza,and was plenty just size fish this week with northernly sea on midweek,and shed loads of weed, codling season starting early this year.

Comment

Ah right, I thought it was where that circular concrete thin is embedded In the sand that you can see low water... Lol

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Boiler

Originally posted by Juliogeordio View Post
          Ah right, I thought it was where that circular concrete thin is embedded In the sand that you can see low water... Lol
          Can see why you thought that, old ships metal boiler,also good shot cast short 30yards either side of it normally a gulley is close in at bottom of beach slope, fish hold init on the ebb till it gets too shallow and empties out.To right of boiler. south side,a low skeer runs out 50 yards or so,only shows on big tides ,casting north east direction off of skeer, toward slatey gut,or as tide drops you can make your way further along,if you can make your way along to the very end, carefully,as covered in weed,off there theres big kelp beds and deeper holes to target.Always good for a better stamp of Cod.

Comment

[ATTACH]10856[/ATTACH]

Good advice from Raptor. It's taken me years of being told not to cast too far by loads of good anglers, but finally I'm listening. I spent years casting over the top of the hole at the Boiler on Tynemouth Beach...The temptation, if you're not catching anything close in, is always to whack it out further but it does seem like persistence pays sometimes close in. If the gulley is 20 yards out, that's where they'll be.
            PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

Cheers lads. I know Whitley pretty well and tends to be where I fish but always fancied tynemouth. Know a lot of the south end of the beach through my surfing but middle - north end no idea lol

PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Working...
              X