Blast 24/08/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast 24/08/2014

Club comp today, drew a decent peg on the pier then realised I'd taken my bucket of plain leads out of the car for my trip to Portsmouth so that was that idea knackered. So it was back to plan A and off to old faithful the Blast beach for the afternoon.

Got down there an hour before kick-off to find I was the only one on there and made the walk along to about 100 yards shy of the stack. Had plenty of time to get set-up and enjoy the late summer sunshine, conditions looked spot on for October but unfortunately we are a couple of months early...

Another couple of lads soon joined me on the beach, 12 o'clock came and away we went. For the first couple of hours all was quiet, then about mid-tide a chuck closer in saw a little rattle and a tommy codling on the beach to save the blank. Then a couple of cast later a nibble on a cast tried closer in and another fish was landed, this time a 28cm Flounder and something to weigh in

The tide was really pushing in now but with it the sea was dieing off. However the fish were coming on and in quick succession I had three Coalfish, unfortunately non of them bigger than 30cm so all went back to fight another day:

Into the last hour and another nibble saw a 24cm Flounder landed, continuing the narrative of fish too small to bother the scalesman. And then it was 5pm, time to call it a day and head back to the club with my solitary specimen. A whole 7oz was my weight for the day which probably got me 14th out of the 14 that weighed in but it was (mostly) a lovely afternoon on the beach though a chilly SE wind got up as the afternoon went on.

Most fish fell to ragworm with a couple taking bluey with a balance of fish taken at range and closer in
    CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Great photos and report!
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

nice fish mate where is the blast ? seaham ?

Comment

hard lines on the stamp of fish mate but canny report non the less

Comment

as said steward was nice to be out,thanks for sharing.pity about result though.

Comment

Blast

Stewart , if you went on the south y abucket of leads might not have been enough, lol lhad a walk along mid comp and everyone struggled to get there gear back. It eats sinkers allday anyway you cannot beat a day on the blast and you ca a few.
            Big kev, fishing leg end
            weapons of choice
            99p fishing net from pet shop at bottom of church street

Comment

I stew a long walk the blast is mate but when it fishes it can be good
              and i lost about a dozen leads on the pier for 1 stray codling next comp
              will be a tester fishing 1 hour up and 6 hours down and all the week is easterly's
              wich might bring a few codling in on the bigger tides and there should be a
              few whities hoyed in
              Weapons of choice
              ZZiplex Bullit Sport (brown unground model)
              Penn Mag 525 Slidey
              Abu 7500 c3 ct Blue

P-B Cod 14lb 12oz North pier Seaham

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicCat View Post
                nice fish mate where is the blast ? seaham ?
                South of Noses point mate, 3 beaches at Seaham. The Hall to the North, Chemical Beach in the middle (chems), Blast to the South between Noses and Hawthorn point. Can all fish on their day.

Comment

Good to see a report from the Blast beech. Could call it a blast from the past as it is along time since I have been.
                  If wind was westerly and sea was not too rough always had a good session. Always remember in winter and staring coal fires to keep warm, there used to be fire all along the beach.
                  Now that the train terminal is closed how do you access the Blast beach.

Comment

Originally posted by BillQuay View Post
                    Good to see a report from the Blast beech. Could call it a blast from the past as it is along time since I have been.
                    If wind was westerly and sea was not too rough always had a good session. Always remember in winter and staring coal fires to keep warm, there used to be fire all along the beach.
                    Now that the train terminal is closed how do you access the Blast beach.
                    Two ways down nowadays. You can climb over the knee high fence by Noses and there is a steepish bank (with a nice not so steep resting spot half way up) down onto the north end of the beach. Alternatively you can walk along the cliff top paths and about 3/4 of the way along there is a path down with steps - back in the day I used to know this area as Smugglers but it has probably changed now.
                    CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Disappointing report Stewart, only one pic of the rod and stand.
                      Well done getting a few out mate.
                      People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Atleast u caught somthing mate some nice photos of tahe beach mate
                        Can't Catch Yesterdays Fish

Comment

Well done mate! I'm a big fan of blast beach, nice place to be.
                          Please visit my blog at http://jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart 1971 View Post
                            Two ways down nowadays. You can climb over the knee high fence by Noses and there is a steepish bank (with a nice not so steep resting spot half way up) down onto the north end of the beach. Alternatively you can walk along the cliff top paths and about 3/4 of the way along there is a path down with steps - back in the day I used to know this area as Smugglers but it has probably changed now.
                            Stew the steps down to the blast is called Frenchies mate used to be an excellent cod mark for the big hitters when the shingle was on the beach
                            we used to race along for the spot strait after registering and that would of been about 15 years back when i was a yougin lol
                            Weapons of choice
                            ZZiplex Bullit Sport (brown unground model)
                            Penn Mag 525 Slidey
                            Abu 7500 c3 ct Blue

P-B Cod 14lb 12oz North pier Seaham

Comment

Originally posted by GEORDIE H View Post
                              Stew the steps down to the blast is called Frenchies mate used to be an excellent cod mark for the big hitters when the shingle was on the beach
                              we used to race along for the spot strait after registering and that would of been about 15 years back when i was a yougin lol
                              Frenchies, that's right Geordie, you'll have to forgive my memory after nearly 25 years. Used to love that mark, especially after Harry Barker taught me to cast (before I had a break from fishing and forgot everything he taught me and had to re-learn) and I could fish it properly.

Like I said on the other thread so much changed in the 20 years I was away, all the marks I knew as a youngun are completely different nowadays
                              CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Working...
                              X