Burrow-Head/Isle of Whithorn - Part 1 - October 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrow-Head/Isle of Whithorn - Part 1 - October 2013

Well, I've been meaning to do this for a while and here it is - Part 1 of a series of reports from the Isle of Whithorn and surrounding areas, based from our lodge on the Burrow-Head Caravan Park.

For those who don't know the area it is on the southernmost tip of the South-West of Scotland. Beautiful scenery and cracking fishing are a perfect match with no mobile signal (actually you do connect to the Isle of Man at times) and an ideal hideaway from the rat-race.

These are the two lodges on the coast of the Caravan Park and have been a perfect home-from-home for all our trips.

This is the harbour in the Isle itself and the nearby Witness Cairn on the site of the old lifeboat station - people add stones with the names on of those that have passed away.

This trip took place last October 1/2 term - whilst the rest of the family went trick-a-treating and were invited into pretty much every house both in the Isle and nearby Whithorn, I got to get the rod wet.

A pretty quiet time was had to be honest, the usual doggies kicking about but apart from them nothing much to report bar the below

So fishing done, and a few more pics of scenery, these are the rocks down from the camp-site which are really good for all sorts of species, particularly some cracking wrasse in the shallows. On this occasion down to weather and time I couldn't get down (they can be treacherous in the rain and lives have been lost so anyone venturing down please take care) - not to fear though they will feature in future parts.

And all that remains is a shot of what remains of 'The Wicker-Man's legs/stumps. For those that didn't know, the site was one of the locations for the film along with nearby Creetown which has a nice little museum full of related memorabilia.

And so that was October 2013 - Part 1 complete, not a great deal of fishing but a chance to check out a few nearby locations for the future. Hopefully I'll get to continue the reports over the weekend - cheers for reading, hope you enjoyed.
    Last edited by sonofpele; 29-08-2014, 09:24 PM. Reason: Edited Photo

Good stuff, I stayed just across the bay in one of the cottages during Easter, Its amazing how much water empties out at the stone jetty when the tide drops....Some cool pictures too

Comment

thanks for taking time to put report up,as said nice pictures.

Comment

Yup great pictures and a nice read.
        2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Nice report and an interesting read. Hope you get a few more fish out over the weekend.

Comment

thanks for sharing enjoyed the read, & pictures

Comment

Working...
            X