Late MOG report from 23.8.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late MOG report from 23.8.14

Myself, Mike (Thunderpants) and FishingMark had been planning a session up the Mull for a while but all the bad weather of late has had us postponing our trip for a while, so long so that FishingMark pulled out to concentrate on cod season instead.

Anyway after a Thursday night session on Druridge Bay which was abysmal with flat seas and not the 4-5 swell forecast, resulted in a single sized cod each and 1 or 2 undersized fish. MOG on Saturday was surely going to be a cracking session with target species of the 5 different wrasse and lots of big pollock, coalies, mackerel and everything else MOG can throw at us.

After having only 10 hours kip in the last 3 days we set off 6am Saturday morning for the very long trip North, I must say I was knackered but full of excitement, even at my age lol, big fish here we come.

We got to Stranraer around 9.45am so Mike could pick some extra ragworm from the sports shop then back in the car for the final leg of the journey to the carpark at Port Logan. I would post a pic of the view when we got there but my damn camera didn't save half the pics I took.

Once we got out the car and got ready for the trek it dourned on us that we didn't know where the hell to fish, as near too or on the actual point we thought, then it was a case of how we gonna get there. We were told by the guy at the pond centre that we take the road round to the point and it takes around 10-20 minutes, I guess he's never actually walked it himself as it took closer 35-45 minutes.

We decided to cut across the fields to a mark halfway along the road, after a 25 minute trek across 3 foot grass in 2 fields we got to our first mark, it was windy but because we chose this side of MOG to get out the wind it wasn't actually that bad once we had the cliffs behind us, the sea was flat the sun was shining so all we needed were some fish now. This is looking back towards the carpark and beach from the mark.

We got set up and away we went full of anticipation of a good days fishing. After around 20 minutes I was first up with a nice Ballan wrasse on my float, 5 minutes later I had my second Ballan Wrasse a bit bigger this time and that was closely followed up by my third even bigger Ballan Wrasse of around 2lb mark and a PB of Wrasse for me. Coincidentally the pic never saved of my biggest Wrasse but all the pics of the other Wrasse did.

Mike wasn't having any luck so far.

Then Mikes luck changed and he had a few Ballan Wrasse out too.

It went dead at this point but I was sick of Ballans by now anyway and had changed to a spinning set up but with no luck and no fish for about an hour and half so we decided to head for another mark. It was at this point that we didn't know where the hell to try, we zig zagged across cliffs and fields of very long grass came to dead ends etc and were knackered by this, so we said WTH lets see if we can get onto the point itself.

We got there in the end after a few more fields and hills, with electric fences to avoid aswell, this place looked like wrasse and pollock city. I quickly got my float set up in the water in this nice gulley and winkled out a few more Ballan Wrasse, it was the same for Mike he was into Ballan Wrasse too, can you see where this is headed lol.

I changed again trying with the lures and spinners, again there was nothing to be had on the spinners and lures. We came all this way and there was no fish barr Ballan Wrasse, no Cuckoos or anything but Ballans.

Mike had a good knock on his bait rod and proceeded to wind in his catch, summit bigger this time finally, turned out to be a LSD, champers I thought as I needed one for the species hunt too. So I got my bait rod in the water hoping for a LSD but nothing, not a bite for a good maybe 2 hours or so, I had another 1 or 2 Ballans during this time.

But then I noticed my rod tip going and thought I was snagged at first but it was moving so I dragged in this dead weight, my first ever Doggy woohoo I was well chuffed.

With the sun going down and having left my head light in the car we started thinking about heading back before last light, looking at the rocks I was thinking times about right to get off here. We had thought of trying for a bass at the beach before heading home but the sea was flat sadly, though the 10 miles of walking or so it felt had already taken its toll on us.

Last edited by Pete from shields; 27-08-2014, 09:07 PM.

Great pic's ladsn some lovely looking fish
    Cheers for the report.

Comment

Nice report Pete. Well done on the doggy :-)
      "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
      PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Great report and pics mate. Not much doing at Shields on Saturday but all that hiking for a few ballans looks like savage amusement to me, glad you enjoyed it.
        People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

enjoyable read,well done the 2 of yous.

Comment

Nice one lads looked like a nice day for it.
            Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Well done lads. Shame nothing else turned up for yous. Not as good as it used to be now
              PB SHORE COD 9LB 14oz seaton sluice 3/11/12
              PB BOAT COD 9lb 15oz
              PB COALIE 9lb 8oz
              PB LING 7lb 8oz

Comment

Great report Pete. My legs still haven't recovered from going up and down those cliffs, lol, I must be getting old

Comment

well done told Mike it was a canny walk, lot easier when you could drive down , you managed to get a few fish and good photos
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Joe-m; 28-08-2014, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Nice report and photies mister, and it looks like a lovely scenic place to fish.

Comment

Working...
                    X