roker pier thursday 6/8/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roker pier thursday 6/8/15

went down at 6.00pm to fish the 8.30pm high tide. All I took with me was my 12 year old grandsons spinning rod and reel, a couple of spinners and some mackerel feathers. I was hoping to catch a mackerel so I could do a bit of float fishing.
    I started off about two thirds of the way up the pier and using a 50grm spinner I began fishing. A few lads a short distance to my left were float fishing mackerel strip and were catching a few decent size mackerel.
    Anyway, an hour later and I was still fish less but I could see people to my right were catching the odd fish on mackerel feathers.
    I decided to move up the pier a bit and try my luck there. Another hour later and I was still fish less.
    As the tide heightened I could see people further to my right were still catching fish on feathers. I was reluctant to put feathers on my tiny spinning rod because I wasn't sure how it would cope with two or three fish on the line at once.
    Half an hour later, and after the high tide had been and gone, everyone around me were catching fish so I bit the bullet and put on a string of mackerel feathers. What a difference. First cast one decent size mackerel and a herring (I haven't seen theses fish in our waters for quite a number of years). I lifted both fish out of the water and was chuffed with the performance of my rod and reel.
    An hour later it was getting dark but I had caught by then 13 herring and two mackerel all on feathers. The spinner done absolutely nothing. I was near the bunker when I started catching fish.
    A pleasing nights fishing but I was rather disappointed to see someone walking off the pier with over 70 fish. What on earth was he going to do with 70 plus fish. It would have took him the rest of the night to clean and gut them.
    Sorry no pictures but I don't know how to do it. I suppose I will have to learn.

Sounds like you had a good day - well done. Herring seem to be in at the moment on the piers.

I'm still to get out and have a macky bashing session

Comment

canny report m8 as long as you ended up with one or two fish makes the day.
      and its nice to see the herring back think some have also been landed on ssp
      consett warlord retired

Comment

Well done on the fish, I hope the other guy was freezing them for winter bait.

Comment

Originally posted by dale19 View Post
          canny report m8 as long as you ended up with one or two fish makes the day.
          and its nice to see the herring back think some have also been landed on ssp
          been loads the last couple weeks

Comment

I've seen a few reports on here in the last week or so about Herring being caught. I was on Tynemouth Pier a few weeks ago and there a were a few Shad being caught and kept which I think are a protected species. Are these fish that are being caught Herring or Shad?

Comment

Originally posted by CODMAN View Post
              I've seen a few reports on here in the last week or so about Herring being caught. I was on Tynemouth Pier a few weeks ago and there a were a few Shad being caught and kept which I think are a protected species. Are these fish that are being caught Herring or Shad?
              Well if they are shad they should take them of the protected species list, there's millions of them��

Well done BDH

Comment

Would agree on spinner use. At high tide, when the water is deep, it seems to be difficult to find the fish with a spinner, but easy with feathers and a weight.

Find the spinners much more effective fishing into shallower water.

Comment

These were definitely herring. Shads are more like mackerel in my experience

Comment

Working...
                  X