Usan 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usan 2015

Back from our annual trip to Scotland. All you want from a fishing trip in the summer is blue sky, warm temperatures and calm seas. This past week we got:

On and off, but mostly on, we had swells of 3 metres plus, south easterly winds up to 40 knots and lots of rain. Undaunted we arrived last Friday at daybreak and fished at Fishtown of Usan. Weather was "okay" at best and we managed 3 codling, best about 3lb.

In the evening we fished with Robert Gallagher at Boddin Point (he's posted on here regarding cart baits). The weather was deteriorating all the time and although we caught 5 codling, best about 4lb, we missed, lost twice that number. Still 7 fish for me and Rod on the first day is a record. We tend to start slowly and improve.

Saturday is best forgotten. We returned to Boddin, the wind had dropped but the roll was around 6 feet and we lost more tackle than a circumcised John Holmes. A single wrasse saved the blank.

Sunday was a funny day. We fished the Black Rock at Usan. I caught a wrasse about 4lb first cast. As I was pulling in Rod had a codling about the same weight:

Straight away I caught a poodler and then we sat for 2 hours, around the bottom of the tide without a sniff. Moved to the mark next door and I caught two codling within 2 minutes, both on before I had time to tighten the line. Then nothing until we went home for tea.

Monday was a pivotal day. Up early the wind was howling and the sea looked dangerous. Rod described it as a maelstrom, a word regularly used by opthalmic opticians.

We decided a different mindset was needed. We contemplated what we would do if it was December, rather than August and fished appropriately. It resulted in 3 fish from one mark and 4 fish from the next.

Best fish was about 6lb.

The weather, again, has been poor but, for the first time in 6 years of trying, we finally thought it was worthwhile to stop off around Eyemouth on our way home. We opted for Castle Rock, north of Coldingham, due to the short walk. The difference in the weather was like going from Tynemouth to Tenerife. Codling first cast, second cast, a wrasse and another codling. Loads of lost fish, missed bites and nice to see folks we've lost contact with.

As an aside I was 60 last month and Rod had this commisioned for me. Cheers mate.

Last edited by Stores; 07-08-2015, 08:13 PM.

Well done David, nice to see some fish turning up despite the conditions! It's been a patchy summer down here too, especially the RM matches on Tynemouth pier....very poor catches and loads of hagfish about sliming your traces Upside has been that when the sea's been away there have been plenty of codling on the beaches, just like winter except they're all getting caught before dusk!

Oh, and a belated happy 60th...that looks a canny watercolour of the Bear's rock - done by a local artist I guess?

Cheers, Gary
    ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
    on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

good report there mate, well done on catches, good to hear colders is fishing well up there next week for a few days with wor lass and grandkids and can't wait to give an inherited drum a chuck or maybe not.

Comment

Well done lads some nice fish caught nice to see a great report

Comment

Great report, cheers!

Comment

great report there david,good read enjoyed it.a late happy birthday also.ps,would NEVER of thought you were 60.

Comment

Aye 60 Reg, how time flies. Gary, the artist is from Hexham, where Rod works. He took some photos in and that was the result. g.ordon, the impression I got was that nobody had fished Castle Rock this summer. The most fish we've ever caught is 4. We could have caught twice that amount and the fish we did catch were a deep red, they'd been in the hole a good time.

Comment

excellent report and pictures
                consett warlord retired

Comment

Well done. Me and my mate fished up at Usan for last couple of years now. Usually park near the Salmon farm. Was more miss than hit on our last trip.
                  Mick.
                  Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by mick dunn View Post
                    Well done. Me and my mate fished up at Usan for last couple of years now. Usually park near the Salmon farm. Was more miss than hit on our last trip.
                    Mick.
                    Let me know where you missed Mick and I'll tell you where we hit. The weather is supposed to be the key but I think that the number of fresh run fish available allows you the opportunity to fish somewhere regardless of the sea conditions, something you don't get further south, over the summer.

Comment

Lovely report and pictures. The weather is Scotland certainly is challenging!
                      2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Well done lad's some nice fish still although the weather didn't play ball �� cracking looking wrasse ��, happy 60th you don't look a day over 59 ����
                        species so far :cod,whiting,coalie,dab,flounder ,plaice,3bearded rockling,mackeral,granny fish best for 2012 :6lbcod

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. You're certainly right Mark, the weather is not for the faint hearted, but it just shows that if you work at it hard enough, even poor conditions can produce fish. The easiest thing to do would have been to retire to the pub.

As for being and looking 60, we're coming to the end of our summer holiday and 3 weeks of eating seafood and drinking Portuguese brandy are taking their toll. Have been on the beach most days, swimming each of those days and have yet to see a fish close to shore. There's been 3 or 4 rods out every day and I've yet to see a fish landed. Only thing I've caught is an ear infection, but a nice Australian doctoress sorted it out in 10 minutes.....for only 100¢.... nice work if you can get it.

Comment

Working...
                          X