Howick Haven 09Aug15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howick Haven 09Aug15

I fished Howick for the first time today - I had a great time coasteering here a couple of weeks ago and decided I'd have to fish it sometime.

Anyway, I had to pop into work this morning - I work just outside Alnwick- and thought I'd try somewhere local rather than come back Newcastle way. I was set up about 10:30am, about 200 yards or so from the doctors house. Baits were mussel, fresh peeler, frozen peeler/leatherbacks, frozen black lug and a single mackerel fillet.

Unfortunately, 5 hours later I was still without a bite. I'd moved a few times but still had no luck and had used up all of my fresh peeler and the majority of my frozen. Baits were coming back untouched and hadn't had one bite

I decided to have 'one last cast' and baited up a whole frozen peeler with a strip of mackerel to tip it off. I was getting pretty despondent and a bit sulky when my tip started nodding away. I struck and could feel a fish on but then it hung itself up on the rocks below. I gave it a bit of slack line and then I was back in business. I was expecting a codling but instead got my first ever LSD

I stayed for another hour after that using mackerel as bait in the hope that another dogfish might arrive but had no further luck. Still, pretty happy that I saved the blank and managed a fish that I hadn't caught before.

It's a great place to fish and I think I'll try there again. Lots of wild life including dolphins and porpoises.

good report mate, well done with the LSD

Comment

your learning all the time james.great baits used.as a rule thats a good fishing area,just a pity fish didint come out to play.ps,big welldone on your effort.keep at it.nice LSD,saved the day.

Comment

Glad you got there James, nice report and a good catch - enjoy reading your posts
        Best shore catch 2016 - 7.5lb cod, Seaton Carew!
        CS RNLI representative – www.rnli.org

Comment

Good report and pics. I'll have to give that area a try when I'm next staying at Craster. Cheers for posting. Gaz.

Comment

Well done on the lsd m8 some great spots along where you were fishing shame there were no kelpies showing for you if you try the other side of the docs house like down from the farm there are some canny deep gullies that can produce some nice fish even the odd conger

Comment

Nice day for a spot of fishing and new specie for ya well done mate....
              Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

nice report pal and pictures
                consett warlord retired

Comment

them dogs are turning up everywhere but well done on winkling one out

Comment

Nice one James. Always good trying a new spot
                    "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
                    PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Canny doggy that m8 the place is riddled with them that's all I can catch at the moment when I fish up there

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I'm going to try over low water next and see if that makes a difference.

Slightly worried about the conger as I was swimming and exploring nooks and crannies in the rocks a few weeks back...

Comment

try not to fish alone over l/w,saying as you dont really know the area that well.ps,think its alot safer @ warmer viewing google earth than swimming in them nooks LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by james89 View Post
                            Thanks for your replies.

I'm going to try over low water next and see if that makes a difference.

Slightly worried about the conger as I was swimming and exploring nooks and crannies in the rocks a few weeks back...
                            Have always found low water on a decent tide fishes best

Comment

I will have fished almost exactly the same spot in an open last year, 2 codling. I recall it was a canny chuck to find cleanish ground and that was over low water. Well done on the doggy. I think the haven itself is quite a bit further south if I understand correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X