Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night and Day on Blyth Pier 04-5Sept15

Hi all,

I fished Blyth pier last night - about 7pm till 12:30am. About 10-15 people on and some good craic. Strangely, some people were macky bashing! I managed three sized codling (1-2lb stamp) and a foul hooked dab. Also lost at least 2 lobsters - two dropped off on the lift and I think I lost a third on the way in. Plenty of Knocks but the only decent bites were from the Codling and lobsters. I think I might have got more fish if I'd have scaled down my bait and hook size. Heard of a few flatties, whiting and similar sized codling caught towards the end.

I had a bit of bait left over so I had a few hours on the pier this afternoon. Not many fish coming in at all. On my last cast I made up two big baits of lug and frozen crab. When it was ready to pack in struck and felt some resistance and a bit of thrashing - an slightly undersize codling on the bottom hook and a sized Lobster on the top hooked in the mouth! Blank saved and a bonus lobster for dinner. The first lobster I've ever eaten - grilled in herb and garlic butter. Lush!

No pictures of the fish I'm afraid - I've not got around to getting my phone insured and I don't trust myself not to drop it between the planks on the pier!

Baits: Lug, mussel, frozen crab and some stinky sticky blacks.

Cheers,
    James

Well done James, a few sized fish out and a lobster for tea! Bargain.
    "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
    PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Well done James. I might spark a bit of controversy here but i wouldnt scale down- stick with the bigger baits-you`ll still catch smaller stuff but the old saying "a big bait for a big fish" still has its place , especially if cod fishing.

Comment

sorry not my cup of tea.

Originally posted by james89 View Post
        Hi all,

I fished Blyth pier last night - about 7pm till 12:30am. About 10-15 people on and some good craic. Strangely, some people were macky bashing! I managed three sized codling (1-2lb stamp) and a foul hooked dab. Also lost at least 2 lobsters - two dropped off on the lift and I think I lost a third on the way in. Plenty of Knocks but the only decent bites were from the Codling and lobsters. I think I might have got more fish if I'd have scaled down my bait and hook size. Heard of a few flatties, whiting and similar sized codling caught towards the end.

I had a bit of bait left over so I had a few hours on the pier this afternoon. Not many fish coming in at all. On my last cast I made up two big baits of lug and frozen crab. When it was ready to pack in struck and felt some resistance and a bit of thrashing - an slightly undersize codling on the bottom hook and a sized Lobster on the top hooked in the mouth! Blank saved and a bonus lobster for dinner. The first lobster I've ever eaten - grilled in herb and garlic butter. Lush!

No pictures of the fish I'm afraid - I've not got around to getting my phone insured and I don't trust myself not to drop it between the planks on the pier!

Baits: Lug, mussel, frozen crab and some stinky sticky blacks.

Cheers,
        James
        herbs@ garlic no thankyou.good old salt @ vinegar for me.mind them 2 shades of blue cutlery look the part.thanks for good report as usual.pity you never named some of the planks on the pier.LOL.

Comment

Lobster looks excellent-I have never had a one.
          Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Thanks for reading and for comments lads.

The lobster tasted great - even better when it costs £25 down the road at Loch fyne!

Comment

nice one james
              consett warlord retired

Comment

4.99 at iceland, but not a patch on catching your own,fresh is best. Davy.
                PB
                COD 21-15-0 Tynemouth pier R/M match
                COD 20-4-0 Sharpness, Tynemouth open
                Ballan Wrasse 5-6-0 Seahouses summer league
                Pollock 11-5-8 ST Abbs Spinning sandeel
                Dogfish 2-15-14 Tynemouth pier match R/M
                Coaly 3-5-8 Tynemouth pier match r/m
                Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

nice one mate and canny report. well done on lobby too

Comment

Well done on the codling m8 fished blyth pier for years and never seen lobster caught had a nice eater crab off the beach once nice one anyway

Comment

Originally posted by broon shoe View Post
                      Well done on the codling m8 fished blyth pier for years and never seen lobster caught had a nice eater crab off the beach once nice one anyway
                      A few years back I had 5 lobsters in less than an hour fishing just past the bend, chucking towards Sluice onto the roughish patch. Don't think I've had one there since!

Gary
                      ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
                      on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Working...
                      X