Skye Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skye Report

Right lads and lasses, just back from a week of camping and B&B 'ing' on the isle of Skye, what a fantastic place! First stop on the trip was a stay at Fort William and then onto Skye the next day, the original plan was to head to over to the Isle of Lewis but with the Ferry full and the atrocious weather we decided just to stick to Skye so another B and B booked at Uig. The pier here produces Mackerel and before we headed for a pint we had a few chucks but none showed

My mate 'Conman' on the pier at Uig

The next day the weather had cleared so on the way to the campground at Dunvegen (Klinloch campsite, highly recommended), we had a few chucks with the lures at some 'fishy' looking marks, but again failed to catch anything

Conman into a snag

So it was off to the intended mark at Neist Point, the water round here is the deepest I have ever fished in from the shore with something like 20 -40m directly in front of you, it was more like boat fishing. First chuck produced a double shot of Coalies on the lures for me

We then had about another 10 or more Coalies and 6 mackerel or so, but with no big pollock showing on the lures we decided to switch to baited Mackerel on pully rigs. This resulted in some better takes by the end of the day but we failed to get any of them up! So it was off to camp for the fist night and a few single malts.

The next day we were greeted by clear weather and we did have a quick look at another fishy looking mark on the way to Niest point again but nothing showed

So back to Niest point it was!

Heres a shot of me before the walk down to the point and a couple of the Mark we fished, really really deep water!! The climb down also wasn't for the faint hearted but not too difficult.

Fish showed almost immediately with a few coalies on the lure and a couple of pollock in the 1-2 lb range. But after catching 6 or so Mackerel it was back to freshly baited Mackerel on 5/0 pennell rigs!! And after a few minutes wait Conman had a cracking rattle and pull and was into a decent fish that first snagged him up but after a little encouragement he finally got it up and was the first decent Pollock on the trip (our intended target!!)

Not wanting to be out done the next one fell to me on the same method and after a short battle I managed to get this one out.

The mark continued to fish and we had Ballan Wrasse, Dogfish and a couple of ling!!

Knackered and completely satisfied it was back to the campsite for a few whiskeys again.

The third trip down to the point on our last day produced fish again and also by far the most amazing thing I've ever seen!!! A Minke whale surfaced twice about 20m in front of us, the noise was amazing and I nearly s**t my pants, but unfortunately didn't have time to get a pic!!! The place is noted as being one of the best shore marks for spotting these and we also had Gannets dive bombing in front of us as well as a plethora of other birds!!! We also seen Golden Eagles while out hiking in the Cuillin hills!

So all in all Skye was a fantastic trip and Neist Point is easily one of the best places I have ever fished!!! i will definitely be back up here when im back again and ive got a few more weeks to hopefully get another report or two up for you!!!

That's a cracking report, great pics and sounds like a belter holiday to me well done.

Comment

great report and pics lads
      Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught

Comment

Fantastic report mate, well done.
        Davy

Comment

cracking report and fishing have wanted to fish that area for some time but not got round to it so maybe one day thanks for the report and quality pictures
          Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Cracking report mate perfect holiday to me, in a stunning part of the world, camping, hiking and fishing! well done on them pollock and ling, love the cullins, out of interest where did you walk (or climb), climbed gillian via the tourist before, glad I was wearing brown trousers!

Comment

great report and some special fish , jamcod

Comment

Originally posted by hotdog View Post
                Cracking report mate perfect holiday to me, in a stunning part of the world, camping, hiking and fishing! well done on them pollock and ling, love the cullins, out of interest where did you walk (or climb), climbed gillian via the tourist before, glad I was wearing brown trousers!
                Dont know the name and didn't venture to far as we free styled it without a map setting off down the valley on a trail from the Sligachan hotel and heading up a ridge to somewhere between Glamaig and Marcso! I think it was only about 2000 ft but being scotland was difficult hiking and scrambling! I definitely would like to do more hiking up there when I have time as it was amazing, the only problem is the fishing is also immense and distracting!!!

Comment

Neist Point

Good to here you had some good sport at Neist Point - lovely spot to fish

Comment

brilliant report and pics,well done on you catch!

Comment

Great stuff Chopper, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Snaps

FANTASTIC REPORT MATE +SNAPS WHEN I FISHED SKYE MANY A MOON AGO LIMPET FOR BAIT HUGE WRASSE JUST DOWN SIDE ! HONEST
                        KEEP AHAD LADS IF THINGS DONT CHANGE THEY WILL STAY THE SAME

Comment

Well done Chopper.

When I fished it I found that the middle skeer in photo 5 caught the best pollack on the ebb (probably around 5 or 6 pound). Mind you I got broken where you fished a number of times.

Comment

Great report and pics ,well done on your catch's.

Comment

Superb report, very well done.
                              To get away from dragons and catch monsters.

Pig Hunter

Comment

Working...
                              X