Howick (Doctor's House)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howick (Doctor's House)

Fished Doctor's House today from 9am until 2pm. Was disappointed the big sea and NE winds predicted at the start of the week never arrived! Anyway, set up north of the house. There was a bit of a swell on (3ft) and the water was murky. Cast out about 80yds into seeminly deep water. Strong tidal rip dragged my gear round quite fast (was using 5oz grippers) First cast resulted in a tiny coaley (about 8cm!) on the top hook of my pennel. The bait was bigger!! The next fish I took was a better size coaley (a bit over 35cm). These were all taken before 11am on the flood. I had plenty of knocks and wound into a few more fish, as I felt them kick, however they all managed to get hung up on the way in. Lost a couple like that. I think there must be a ledge around 50 yds out. Had to wind hard to have a chance of getting gear back. Would quite like to fish this area at low tide. Packed up at about 2pm. Does anyone know the best part of the tide to fish round here at this time of year? Bait used was frozen crab and mussel on 4/0 pulley pennel rigs.

you need a box full of rigs n sinkers up there, rough isnt the word, theres always the chance of a big 1 tho

Comment

I can guarantee you with my luck at the minute, there is no chance of a big one!

Comment

have u tried using the rocket shape leads?or a lead lift? or even flattening your leads with a hammer for these sorta areas...i find that these type of sinker fair better on rough ground....or rotten bottoms for that matter
        Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
        Kompressor SS /slosh30
        tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Originally posted by Holl5080 View Post
          Fished Doctor's House today from 9am until 2pm. Does anyone know the best part of the tide to fish round here at this time of year?
          Hi mate, you got the time of year right. Howick can chuck up fish at any time of the year. However, the doctors house mark is best fished over low water, 2hrs b4- 2hrs after. As said, if there is any sort of movement on the water the place can be a tackle graveyard but thats all part of rock fishing. If you follow the track to the right of the farm and down the bank, there is a nice deep channel that can be fished over high water but there has to be a decent swell. hope this helps.

Comment

Cheers for the replies lads. I do sometimes use lead lifts (home made). Like to keep my rigs simple on really rough ground to cut costs on lost gear. When I next fish here I probably won't fish a pennel rig. Just a single hook. Wouldn't mind fishing some of the marks south of the house. Look quite promissing. Looks like some big swells comming in this weekend (although it looked the same this time last week!)

Comment

just south is the rumbling kern m8, been some good bags of fish come from here over the last few months. if u cast at distance it is'nt so heavy ground just mixed but if u hook in2 a fish reel like the clappers as u get within 40 yrds of the rock edges 2 get up over the kelp.
              fish 2 down 2 up but on the sml'er tides u can fish up 2 high water, few months back i had 4 codling out at the 3 1/2lb mark on the flood, that was around 2 hours in2 the flood from bottom water on fresh & frozen peeler but tipped with a mussel, every fish took the bait only with the tipped mussel on it just goes 2 show.
              bill.

Comment

Working...
              X