My first cod of the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first cod of the season

Well with the weather being ok on sunday and having looked at the wheeldale web cam and it was showing a nice bit of sea running I just couldn't resist going fishing. So I packed all my gear into the car and headed for sandsend with intentions of fishing Bernies ledge up to high water and a couple of hours after then to move onto rabbit holes for a while.

On arrival I noticed there was plenty of colour and movement so I had high hopes of catching something so of I went to bernies. When I got there I was met by quit a stiff breeze but it was still ok to fish. On my first cast in I got a good bite but this did not develop into anything and after several more cast and only geting tiny rattles of the rod tip I decided to move I suspected these bites were just rockling .

So I had a walk back round to Rabbit holes also the wind was become a bit of a nuisance. After a few cast and the same tiny bites my suspicious were confirmed I caught a rockling of a grand size of about 6" long Bloody bait robbers that,s what they are. I soon decided to make a move to fish the last couple of hours of the ebb but wasnt to sure where to go .

I thought I would go to port mulgrave however when I got there and looked over the top to see what the conditions were like I was quit surprised to see hardly any movement and also no one else down there and the thought of the dreaded walk back up didn't fill me with any encouragement at all.

Not wanting to waste any of my now thawed out crab I dashed back to Runswick bay with all hopes of catching anything more or less gone. I set up just before the sailing club and after a few cast my rod started nodding so I picked the rod up and struck and in it came my first cod of the season .

I had a couple more cast and also landed a billet. so it turned out to be a very enjoyable days fishing. Back at the car I weighed the fish and took a quick picture before dashing of home to catch the pub. The fish weighed 5lb here is a pic of it .

Thanks for reading Tightlines all Chris

Persistence paid off! Well done m8
    GET OUT THERE AND STICK A BAIT IN IT !!!

Comment

Wat a fish man my dream to cach summit that big my biggest fish iz about 2lb wich was a collie ;D
      Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

Lovely fish mate. Well done for sticking to it.
        Tight lines
        Davy

Comment

Well done mate , Im making my debut tonight would love summit like that.
          When God made time he made loads of it.
          Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks

Comment

Well done some homework and planning went into catching a cracking fish.

Mick.
            Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Fine fish to open your cod count with.

Comment

Thank for all the replies lads much appreciated cheers Chris

Comment

Working...
                X