Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackerel and Mullet(with pics)

What is this weather like!?

After our first Mackerel session at Blairmore, it has been fully 3 weeks before we have managed to get out again.

Now I know that we are fair weather anglers, but come on, it's June!!

Anyway, Lynn an I got the ferry to Argyll, the bus to Blairmore today and were on the pier for 1 hour before high tide, The Mackerel were on from the start.

]

Using Dexter spinners, it was fish a cast............well almost. Fantastic fun!

After an hour, I decided to try for Mullet. It is a very small pier, but there seemed to be 3 "shoals" of 5 Mullet in each shoal, swimming around. Bizarrely they appeared to be swimming in size shoals! The biggest shoal looked about 6-7lbs each!

Having never fished for Mullet before, I had taken some great advice from Persues on this site, on how to catch them. So without all the gear he had advised, I set my light rod with bread, dipped in Tuna oil (from our sandwiches) and dropped the hook down the side of the pier. I also dropped in other bread balls. You would't believe how often the Mullet ate the bread balls without a hook and ignored the ones that I had rigged. It honestly defied belief!

Having been well warned what would happen trying to catch Mullet and being totally frustrated, I gave up and joined Lynn again to catch a few Mackerel!

However a decent day, with a few fish.

I thought I had pics of the Mullet around the pier, but my camera phone let me down. Apparently it can't penetrate the water!

Oh well.

Anyway, we arrive in the North East next Friday and have 3 charter boats booked and are also hoping for some shore sessions with a few great guys we have met on here!

Can't wait!
    Last edited by kayos; 24-06-2012, 05:02 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Nice 1 them mullet have defo got another sense ha v frustrating saw them swimming of the mull didnt even attempt to catch em ha. Good pics again m8.
    REGARDS BOSH

Comment

you gave up, bet you will be back after them, you are thinking, not going to let beat me. They're coming to take me away haha hoho going to visit the happy land where mullett dance and sing all day and never take a biated hook.
      Alan

Comment

well done the both of you, see you down harlepool soon.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthespark View Post
          well done the both of you, see you down harlepool soon.
          Will do Paul. Be there Friday. Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
            Will do Paul. Be there Friday. Can't wait!
            Well done Kayos m8 and great pics too but a pity you could/nt show pics of your catch but anyway good luck to you .

Comment

Nice report and pictures, and I know how hard it is to catch mullet.

But..... two years ago on the Mull, mullet were prowling around the flat rock at low tide.We started dropping small pieces of mackeral in the water and the mullet were feeding on it. Baited hooks were sniffed but untouched.After ages of frustration, Kev removed his weight changed over to a small mackeral baited hook, and as the mullet sniffed his bait he pulled the hook into it's mouth. All hell broke loose, what great scrappers. He managed to get two out but the first and biggest slipped out of my hands back to freedom, and he's never let me forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveyP View Post
                Nice report and pictures, and I know how hard it is to catch mullet.

But..... two years ago on the Mull, mullet were prowling around the flat rock at low tide.We started dropping small pieces of mackeral in the water and the mullet were feeding on it. Baited hooks were sniffed but untouched.After ages of frustration, Kev removed his weight changed over to a small mackeral baited hook, and as the mullet sniffed his bait he pulled the hook into it's mouth. All hell broke loose, what great scrappers. He managed to get two out but the first and biggest slipped out of my hands back to freedom, and he's never let me forget it.

Davey my mate suggested I should have tried to foul hook them, but I just had this image of me peering over the edge and the hook flying out the water and heading for my face. So I think I will give that method a miss!

Looks a lovely looking fish though. Are they edible?

Comment

Looks a lovely looking fish though. Are they edible?[/QUOTE]

definately not the right thing to do foul hooking mullett and they are absolutely delicious to eat
                  Alan

Comment

Foul Hooked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With respect.

I think the words "FOUL HOOK" bring to mind many negatives, and I thought the mullet was caught fairly.

The fish were watched feeding and mouthing the baits and what Kev did was well thought out. As you know these are very clever fish and you need to be one step ahead.

What he did, he lowered his bait into the water, "SAW" the fish mouth the bait and at the same time "FELT" the fish through his rod he then struck towards the fish, hooking it in the mouth which is not "foul hooking". The fish was landed photographed and then returned unharmed.

Example Two.

When shore fishing, you cast your bait, you "SEE" the fish bite through your rod tip, you pick up your rod and "FEEL" the bite. You strike pulling the hook into the fishes mouth or in some cases out of the fishes mouth.

The only difference between the two examples is, from the shore you can't see the fish mouthing your bait.

We have been going to South West Scotland for more years than I can remember.We respect each other the environment and the fish.We leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but photo's and other peoples rubbish home and a few mackeral for bait.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
                      Davey my mate suggested I should have tried to foul hook them, but I just had this image of me peering over the edge and the hook flying out the water and heading for my face. So I think I will give that method a miss!

Looks a lovely looking fish though. Are they edible?
                      You wouldn,t have much chance of foul hooking a Mullet,there scales are as thick as your fingernails...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveyP View Post
                        With respect.

I think the words "FOUL HOOK" bring to mind many negatives, and I thought the mullet was caught fairly.

The fish were watched feeding and mouthing the baits and what Kev did was well thought out. As you know these are very clever fish and you need to be one step ahead.

What he did, he lowered his bait into the water, "SAW" the fish mouth the bait and at the same time "FELT" the fish through his rod he then struck towards the fish, hooking it in the mouth which is not "foul hooking". The fish was landed photographed and then returned unharmed.

Example Two.

When shore fishing, you cast your bait, you "SEE" the fish bite through your rod tip, you pick up your rod and "FEEL" the bite. You strike pulling the hook into the fishes mouth or in some cases out of the fishes mouth.

The only difference between the two examples is, from the shore you can't see the fish mouthing your bait.

We have been going to South West Scotland for more years than I can remember.We respect each other the environment and the fish.We leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but photo's and other peoples rubbish home and a few mackeral for bait.

Dave.
                        wasn't commenting on that post
                        Alan

Comment

I don't think anyone thought you were Alan, I certainly didn't.

Comment

Great session lads and well done for catching a mullet.

regards Rushy

Comment

Whoops. Things get lost in translation and in threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X